Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com> on 2014/07/03 16:13:31 UTC

Re: Testing patch effectiveness with ruleqa

On 6/30/2014 3:08 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I came up with a rule which I’ve found to be fairly effective locally but wanted to test its performance in a broader universe.
>
> I know I can use Rule-QA to test existing (committed) rules, but what if I wanted to test my patch and include its performance with my submission?
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> What if my rule requires changes to a module as well?

Rule-QA uses a snapshot of SVN to do tests.

So what you should do is the following:

1 - Create a bug with a patch for the rule and any required code changes

2 - If there are required code changes, encapsulate the rule in a
version check/plugin check AND a can feature check such as:

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::BodyEval
   if can(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::BodyEval::has_check_body_length)

NOTE: You'll have to add a function like the has_check_body_length. This
ensures that the rules only fire for people who have that feature.

3 - email me offering breakfast pastries or similar treats to commit the
rule to my sandbox for you and any particular code

4 - Check ruleqa for the results

5 - Repeat for a few months and gain karma to commit yourself.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Testing patch effectiveness with ruleqa

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 7/3/2014 1:24 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2014, at 8:13 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/30/2014 3:08 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>>> I came up with a rule which I’ve found to be fairly effective locally but wanted to test its performance in a broader universe.

Ahh, so you want to know more about Bug 7063.  Yep, give it a few days
to a week or so and ruleqa should start giving some information if all
goes well.

>> 3 - email me offering breakfast pastries or similar treats to commit the rule to my sandbox for you and any particular code
> What are your feelings about scrambled eggs and kippers?
Kipper is a dog*.  I don't eat dog.  Donuts, croissants, bear claws,
something fattening ;-)

*http://compass-images-1.comcast.net/ccp_img/pkr_prod/VMS_POC_Image_Ingest/9/111/1330104359339_2x1_Overlay_1280_640.jpg

Regards,
KAM

Re: Testing patch effectiveness with ruleqa

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.
On Jul 3, 2014, at 8:13 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:

> On 6/30/2014 3:08 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>> I came up with a rule which I’ve found to be fairly effective locally but wanted to test its performance in a broader universe.
>>
>> I know I can use Rule-QA to test existing (committed) rules, but what if I wanted to test my patch and include its performance with my submission?
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this?
>>
>> What if my rule requires changes to a module as well?
>
> Rule-QA uses a snapshot of SVN to do tests.
>
> So what you should do is the following:
>
> 1 - Create a bug with a patch for the rule and any required code changes

Done

> 2 - If there are required code changes, encapsulate the rule in a version check/plugin check AND a can feature check such as:
>
> ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::BodyEval
>  if can(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::BodyEval::has_check_body_length)
>
> NOTE: You'll have to add a function like the has_check_body_length. This ensures that the rules only fire for people who have that feature.

Also done

> 3 - email me offering breakfast pastries or similar treats to commit the rule to my sandbox for you and any particular code

What are your feelings about scrambled eggs and kippers?

> 4 - Check ruleqa for the results

Will do!  Thanks.

-Philip