Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Karel Vervaeke <ka...@outerthought.org> on 2011/09/26 18:28:31 UTC

Whirr overhead

I have been using whirr call simple scripts using whirr run-script,
but I have to say it's running way too slow to be usable.

Running parallel-ssh to call a simple script on a 2-node EC2 cluster
takes about 7 seconds.
Running the same script (more or less) takes more than 1min 30 secs.
I know that's comparing I'm apples with comfy chairs: Whirr is making
EC2 calls to check regions,zones, available hosts, ...
but all those EC2 api calls (I have counted 17, see attached log file)
come with a price (well, with time).

Are the EC2 calls really necessary? Maybe we should skip them
alltogether (look in the instances file) or provide caching cache the
EC2 results...

WDYT?
Karel

--
Karel Vervaeke
http://outerthought.org/

Re: Whirr overhead

Posted by Paul Baclace <pa...@gmail.com>.
Allow me to chime in:  absolutely!  There should be no unnecessary EC2
calls.  I rely on the instances file, although I suppose using spot
instances could call it into question.  Perhaps spot instances should
(or are) listed in a different file.

Paul

Re: Whirr overhead

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.