Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Elke Thoné <el...@pandora.be> on 2007/06/05 10:29:19 UTC

can "apache tomcat" be a virus?

Hello,

I'm looking for help for my father. We are both using our computer only to surf and email and some games. Now on the computer of my father, when he opens Internet Explorer, he always gets a page fro Apache Tomcat saying something that it is installed successfully. He cannot surf to any other page, typing in an url always gives this same page, so he cannot surf anymore.

Is this a known problem? Can anyone help.

Elke

Re: can "apache tomcat" be a virus?

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Doesnt really sound like a virus, or malware, probably just broken.

Try this
Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing
Uncheck -> Enable 3rd party browser extensions

It may start working... tell your dad to remove any FREE programs he
installed,  especially ones that said... cool free toolbar for your
explorer.

Then, if you get lucky and it works.... get yourself a really good antivirus
program.
I can recommend the free Avast...

Good luck...

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Elke Thoné [mailto:elke.thone@pandora.be]
> I'm looking for help for my father. We are both using our
> computer only to surf and email and some games. Now on the
> computer of my father, when he opens Internet Explorer, he
> always gets a page fro Apache Tomcat saying something that it
> is installed successfully. He cannot surf to any other page,
> typing in an url always gives this same page, so he cannot
> surf anymore.

Hi Elke.  I'm guessing that one of the following two things is true:

- Your father's web browser has been attacked, and it will only ever navigate to one page.  That page isn't on your computer, it's on a server somewhere on the Internet.  This is by far the most likely option.  If so, I suggest you do a malware scan.  I tend to use Spybot S+D (from www.safer-networking.org - beware, there are lots of sites out there that advertise Spybot and give you versions with more malware built in!)  You'll need to download it on another computer, then transfer it on a CD or a USB key.

- Your Internet service provider runs a proxy server, and it's failed or been hacked.  If this is the case, many people using the same ISP will be seeing the same problem, and your ISP will by trying to fix it as fast as possible!  This is a much less likely option.  If it's true, the problem should go away of its own accord.

So.  Run a malware scan on the machine, and see what you find.

		- Peter

Re: can "apache tomcat" be a virus?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
+1

BTW: If you want a browser that works on every platform try Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

M--

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@gmail.com>.