Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Simon <si...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/11 23:20:45 UTC

Derby hanging on port conflict

Hi all,

I notice if I accidently start 2 instances of Derby Network Server on the
same port, not only does the 2nd instance get the binding to the port
rejected but the 1st instance hangs as well. This seems to happen on both
linux and windows.

Anyone know if there is a reason this is happening/way to prevent it?
Derby-devs - is this worth logging as a bug?

(context is that we want to run lots of Derby servers on the same box. right
now, even when separated as different users accidently starting a derby
server on a conflicting port kills the other instance - this is bad - it
means a non-privileged user can take down a derby instance owned by someone
else... ).

Thanks for any help or info!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: Derby hanging on port conflict

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon -
I was not able to hang the Network Server by issuing
'...NetworkServerControl start' multiple times - I was using the default
host and port.  Can you describe how this occurs in your environment or
provide demonstration code or scrip?.  Please also include the
information from SYSINFO so I know what version you are using.

Thanks,  Stan