Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/12 03:30:25 UTC

would like to jump on the podling name search early

Folks,

Background: It is hopefully appropriate to initiate the podling name search
now.  If the name were found to be not suitable then we'd need to change
it.  Changing the name is an extremely unpleasant process and very
disruptive to users and those that have built extensions.  We know this
very well as we just went through it.

So with that said is it acceptable to go ahead and submit the name search
request now?  If so here is what I'd submit to the PODLINGNAMESEARCH Jira
based on what I've seen other projects do (specifically Samza as a good
example):

---
programming.  The name itself comes from the projects previous name which
Niagarafiles as it existed in a closed-source community.

Trademarkia:
http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=nifi
No results.

EU trademark search:
https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/welcome# (search URL not available)
"nifi" is a registered trademark in Cyprus in 1993 where the 'list of goods
and services' is 'Brocures and Magazines"

Google:
Within the first several pages several of the links are about the podling
or its history previous to the podling.  There are also hits for the
'National Issues Forum', 'National Immigrant Farming Initiative', National
Inland Fisheries Institute, two bridal companies (nifi is apparently greek
for wife or bride), a LinkedIn page for a Candadian Services company,
Northern Ireland Friends of Israel, and an Indian Film company.

Bing:
Reveals similar results to Google.  Does also show connections to a
manufacturing company called Unify, Nintendo's Wi-Fi connection protocol,

 Yahoo!:
Results appear identical to Bing.

Github:
https://github.com/search?q=nifi&ref=cmdform
Results are for project names that contain the characters nifi or is about
the podling.

Google Code:
https://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=nifi&projectsearch=Search+projects
No results.

Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/directory/?q=samza
No results.

Ohloh / Blackduck/Open Hub
https://www.openhub.net/p?query=nifi&sort=relevance
No results.

USPTO:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4805%3A7xj7jo.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=nifi&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query
No results.

EU OHIM:
https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#advanced/trademarks/1/15/n1=MarkVerbalElementText&v1=nifi&o1=AND&c1=IS&sf=ApplicationNumber&so=asc
No results.
---

Re: would like to jump on the podling name search early

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-62

Thanks
Joe

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
> two bridal companies (nifi is apparently greek for wife or bride)

Take a listen:

https://translate.google.com/#el/en/%CE%BD%CF%8D%CF%86%CE%B7

I'd certainly a say it is a transcription of the greek word for bride

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Copy/paste error.  There are some grammatical issues i'll sort out too but
thanks for catching that.

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
typo? s/samza/nifi/