Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Prasi S <pr...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 12:51:52 UTC

SolrCloud separate indexer and Searcher

i am using solr 4.0 for indexing db content to a cloud . Currently i have
two solr isntances running in separate app servers. Can I have a one solr
separately as indexer instance and another as a searcher.

This is possible in Master-Slave but does this hold good for SorlCloud also?
Because from what i understand, if Isetup two solr isntances, cloud
automatically routes docuemtns to both the servers.

Please guide me on this

thanks,
Prasi

Re: SolrCloud separate indexer and Searcher

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/1/2013 8:50 PM, Prasi S wrote:
> CAn you pls elaborate on what old-style master/slave mean? Does it mean
> that we can have separate indexer and searcher.

With master/slave, you have one Solr instance that's your master.  All
indexing happens on this server.  The other instance(s) replicate from
the master.  In a typical master/slave setup, queries will be sent to
slaves, which all replicate from a master.  If there are multiple
slaves, there is typically a load balancer in front of them.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication

The replication is one way.  Unless you do a bunch of manual
reconfiguration, you can't change the replication direction.  It's
difficult to automate.

SolrCloud is very different.  When you send queries, they are
automatically load balanced across the cluster.  When you send index
updates, they are sent to all replicas automatically, and each replica
indexes the data independently.  Both queries and updates can be sent to
any server in the cluster.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: SolrCloud separate indexer and Searcher

Posted by Prasi S <pr...@gmail.com>.
Erick,

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.