Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by "CHEN, Ruichuan (Ruichuan)" <ru...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2012/10/08 17:32:11 UTC

Non-blocking SSL server using Thrift

Thrift provides several different non-blocking server modes, like TNonblockingServer,THsHaServer, and TThreadedSelectorServer. But, I'd like to enable SSL on the server. It seems SSL only works on blocking servers in Thrift.

Anyone has any clues of a non-blocking SSL server in Thrift? Java example would be highly appreciated.

Re: Non-blocking SSL server using Thrift

Posted by Michael Ubell <ub...@cloudera.com>.
I know that the non-blocking server in C++ is incompatible with wrapping arbitrary (or maybe any) transports.  I am working on a Sasl transport and it will take big changes to make it work with the non-blocking server in C++.  This is because the server implements it's own transport internally.  The Java code appears to be more layered but I suspect it has similar problems..

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@maginatics.com>.
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM, CHEN, Ruichuan (Ruichuan)
<ru...@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Anyone has any clues of a non-blocking SSL server in Thrift? Java example would be highly appreciated.

This is pretty easy to build using a Netty-based Thrift server [1].
Enabling SSL is then mostly a matter of adding an SSLHandler to your
pipeline [2].

[1] https://github.com/cgbystrom/netty-tools
[2] http://static.netty.io/3.5/api/org/jboss/netty/handler/ssl/SslHandler.html

Diwaker