Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2002/11/27 10:13:24 UTC

[SQL] AXgen

Hi Commons SQL!

How about joining forces with AXgen project?
(http://axgen.sourceforge.net)

The easiest point of integration with AXgen would be to make a template
for generating the database schema XML file (should be easy).

Taking it further, I think two projects could be merged, removing the
need for overlap:
* AXgen is used to generate database schema
* database schema is used to generate entity classes, xml repository and
DDL (at least DDL is already supported by Commons SQL)

These two projects are just too similar in my mind and should join the
efforts...(if authors can agree on terms, of course)

Rgds,
Neeme

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Neeme Praks" <ne...@apache.org>
> Hi Commons SQL!
>
> How about joining forces with AXgen project?
> (http://axgen.sourceforge.net)
>
> The easiest point of integration with AXgen would be to make a template
> for generating the database schema XML file (should be easy).
>
> Taking it further, I think two projects could be merged, removing the
> need for overlap:
> * AXgen is used to generate database schema
> * database schema is used to generate entity classes, xml repository and
> DDL (at least DDL is already supported by Commons SQL)
>
> These two projects are just too similar in my mind and should join the
> efforts...(if authors can agree on terms, of course)

I think the projects are a little different - their main difference is what
is the source of the generation process.

AXGen works from an XMI metamodel and uses it to generate things and so
typically requires some XMI repository or tool of some kind.

Commons-sql is specific to SQL and has a simple relational model in both XML
and beans. So the commons-sql model could be generated by hand in a single
XML document, or reverse engineered from a database connection, or generated
via XDoclet from bean source code, or generated by AXGen from an XMI model.
Indeed any XML model for a relational model should be fairly easily
transformed into commons-sql's XML format with some minor XSLT.

However the two projects can work together.

e.g. a single AXGen template could generate a commons-sql model from XMI so
then AXGen users could take advantage of common-sql's ability to generate
DDL for different databases etc. So hopefully commons-sql could be used
within AXGen. The MiddleGen folks are considering using commons-sql inside
their generation tool also.

http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/

There does seem some crossover between AXGen and UML2EJB.

http://uml2ejb.sourceforge.net/

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/