Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve <ne...@shic.co.uk> on 2005/03/07 16:40:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Weird Windows XP problem both with Apache 2.0.48 and with 2.0.53

I've a few files which represent a draft for a very simple website - plain
XHTML/simple Javascript and a couple of jpeg photos.  I can view these files
fine when I use a file://... URI - but run into a curious problem when I try to
access them via Apache on my local PC. I plop all the files into the htdocs
directory and point my browser (I've tried Firefox; IE6 and Lynx - all generate
a similar problem) at http://localhost/

While there is no problem with any of the XHTML pages (each of which is only a
few K) Whenever I point my browser at a photograph (One 124K and one 202K) I
seem to only receive the first portion of each file... approximately two thirds
of the way down each Jpeg is displayed corrupt.  When I do a binary comparison
between a jpg downloaded from Apache and the original file I find they are
identical up-to an offset of 64K - thereafter I see absolutely no similarity
between the binary files - though the distribution of byte values seems fairly
uniform in both files and both files are of identical length.

Suspecting a problem with Apache configuration I uninstalled Apache 2.0.48 and
installed 2.0.53 (the current latest) - but this appears to have had no effect.

Can anyone shed any light on this?