Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@ntrnet.net> on 2000/01/20 18:54:17 UTC

Building Apache 2.0

Some of the most recent changes to the build method for Apache 2.0 have
broken the APACI configuration.  This means that you must use the new
autoconf build method.  I am sorry about this, but it can be a real PITA
to try to keep two different build methods up to date.  If you are getting
warnings and/or build problems, I suggest trying the autoconf build
method.

Ryan

6209 H Shanda Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27609		Ryan Bloom -- thinker, adventurer, artist,
				     writer, but mostly, friend.

Re: Building Apache 2.0

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
Agreed but then we must have a README or some such that explains it.
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 12:54:17PM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > Some of the most recent changes to the build method for Apache 2.0 have
> > broken the APACI configuration.  This means that you must use the new
> > autoconf build method.
>
> If we're not planning to fix the APACI configuration, then we should
> go ahead and eliminate it.

Re: Building Apache 2.0

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 12:54:17PM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > Some of the most recent changes to the build method for Apache 2.0 have
> > broken the APACI configuration.  This means that you must use the new
> > autoconf build method.
>
> If we're not planning to fix the APACI configuration, then we should
> go ahead and eliminate it.

I suggest we leave it alone until we are sure the autoconf stuff is
finished to the point that we know it can handle non-unix paltforms.  I am
not convinced it can simply because it doesn't do it yet.

If we remove it, it can't be modified to work.  If we leave it alone and
David or I want to fix the APACI configure steps so they can work until
autoconf works properly, then we can.  Currently, I am without a good
computer for doing much development.  I am hoping to have this fixed by
the end of the day, but no gaurantees.

Ryan

Conference!!!   <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

2121 Stonehenge Dr. Apt #3
Raleigh, NC 27615		Ryan Bloom -- thinker, adventurer, artist,
				     writer, but mostly, friend.

Re: Building Apache 2.0

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.

Re: Building Apache 2.0

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
Thanks Ryan.  I've looked but am about to move house and so don't have the
time to spend to go into the detail of it.  Also, as I said last night I
don't fully follow what's going on...

d.
Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
This is a retrograde step, but I guess it's an inevitable one.  now can we
get building on non-unix platforms sorted out?  Ta.

d.
> Some of the most recent changes to the build method for Apache 2.0 have
> broken the APACI configuration.  This means that you must use the new
> autoconf build method.  I am sorry about this, but it can be a real PITA
> to try to keep two different build methods up to date.  If you are getting
> warnings and/or build problems, I suggest trying the autoconf build
> method.
>
> Ryan

___

Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

> | build/buildcheck.sh: libtool: not found
>
>   This will be great fun on Mac OS X where we have a command called
> libtool than isn't GNU libtool.  (No, we're no stupid, this comes
> from NeXT which has been using that name since well before GNU
> libtool existed.)

You gotta ask yourself: do you want to be compatible with NeXT or the
rest of the world?

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
Ryan,

I don't think that autoconf is necessarily a bad thing, just that the way
we're using it doesn't do the job for us!  APR autoconf works just fine.
Why?  It's simpler and was built from the beginning with multi-platform in
mind.  Every time you coded something that broke on BeOS I screamed and
together we fixed it.  That worked well for APR as it was a small project
with just a few of us actively working on it and what we were doing wasn't
that complicated.  Everything was fresh and that made it easier.

The problem I think with Apache 2.0 full-blown autoconf is that it's a much
larger problem.  Most of the work has been done on unix for unix (or Linux).
That's fine as it's probably 99% of the audience, but that doesn't help the
other 1%.  The problem is that a lot of the new work, whilst I'm sure that
it works well, doesn't make enough allowance for the multi-platform nature
of Apache.

I don't have the answers as I'm lost in the latest autoconf stuff (well I
can't find the stuff I want to change - does that count as lost??).  However
there isn't an easy fix if we want a truly easy to use configure as the
problem is so big.  We have a complex bit of software that should install
"out of the box" on virtually every platforms invented - that's quite an
achievement!  Moving over to autoconf is going to be hard, and I have a
feeling that this is just the beginning.  No worries, just take us all along
when you move is all I'm asking.

I'll devote time to getting it working I just need to get to a point that I
understand!

Version numbering shouldn't be that hard to get round, or any of the other
problems.

:-)

d.

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 02:16:46PM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > > Yes there is.  I used to have it installed on the machine that I had
> > > before this one.  I don't remember where I got it, though.
> >
> > Allow me to re-phrase this then.  I do not know of an automake that will
> > work with Visual C++ Makefiles.
> >
> I don't recommend we spend time on automake/autoconf, et. al. for Windows
> UNLESS it encourages more people to do Apache for Windows development. I
> don't think that is likely though.

    I think bash/m4 were ported to Windows before. libtool also
    supports the Cygwin environment, so basically building on
    Windows should be possible.

    There are some things missing in os/win32 though in order to
    make it work with the new autoconf scheme.

                            Sascha Schumann
                                 Consultant

Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
> > >I didn't think we were ever talking about Windows.  Windows is
> > >creating it's own Header and Makefiles for Apache 2.0, because there
> > >is no autoconf for Windows.
> >
> > Yes there is.  I used to have it installed on the machine that I had
> > before this one.  I don't remember where I got it, though.
>
> Allow me to re-phrase this then.  I do not know of an automake that will
> work with Visual C++ Makefiles.

I don't recommend we spend time on automake/autoconf, et. al. for Windows
UNLESS it encourages more people to do Apache for Windows development. I
don't think that is likely though.

Bill

Posted by Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu

Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 01:50:53PM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> I have to say that I agree with Ryan on this.  Having some platforms using
> one mechanism and other using something "home-grown" is a recipe for
> disaster.  Windows is a different case and we should essentially ignore it.
>
> Autoconf seems to work OK, it just needs some fiddling to get it working as
> it needs to for other non-unix platforms, and I suspect the same will be
> true of some of the more exotic unix platforms out there.

    David, you asked me some questions privately. Sorry, I didn't
    have time to answer them all (I've just returned from the PDM
    in Tel Aviv). Were they answered by someone else in the mean
    time?

> Libtool?  If it's going to produce more problems than it solves then lets
> find something else.  If a home grown solution is going to work then lets do
> that.

    There are benefits in improving (read adding support for
    more platforms) libtool:

    -   libtool is well maintained by other people, so we don't
        lose time doing it ourselves
    -   the whole Open Source community benefits, because our
        improvements can be used by other projects

> As much as I hate to bring up decisions (not a strong point within the group
> :-)) we probably need to make one before too long.

    Well, I think it's pretty clear what I think about the issue.
    Nevertheless, I value your opinion and your input on it.

                            Sascha Schumann
                                 Consultant

Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
I have to say that I agree with Ryan on this.  Having some platforms using
one mechanism and other using something "home-grown" is a recipe for
disaster.  Windows is a different case and we should essentially ignore it.

Autoconf seems to work OK, it just needs some fiddling to get it working as
it needs to for other non-unix platforms, and I suspect the same will be
true of some of the more exotic unix platforms out there.

Libtool?  If it's going to produce more problems than it solves then lets
find something else.  If a home grown solution is going to work then lets do
that.

As much as I hate to bring up decisions (not a strong point within the group
:-)) we probably need to make one before too long.  Maintaining 2
configuration methods will slow down other work that should be done so we
can move onto a beta.  Also people tend to get on with solving the problems
quicker when they have no choice than when they don't.

d.
Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Brian Havard wrote:
> APR is ok because it only uses autoconf. The main apache config uses
> autoconf/automake/libtool so supporting a platform requires all 3 to be
> ported. There is a good port of autoconf 2.13 for OS/2, automake has been
> replaced(?) but the only port of libtool is "alpha" and too old (v1.2d but
> 1.3.3 is required). So the only options I have right now are to port a
> current libtool myself (yuck!) or abandon the standard configure mechanism
> and do my own as has been done for Win32 (also yuck!). Arrg!

Why can't you just use something other than libtool? I don't see that you
need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Keep autoconf. Use the Apache 1.3 mechanism for building your library,
rather than libtool.

[...]

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.

Posted by Wilfredo Sanchez <ws...@apple.com>.
  Apache 2.0 has not built on Mac OS X yet to my knowledge;  I've
not had a chance to try it yet.  Mac OS X is supposed to GM in the
summer, and if Apache 2.0 will be ready for prime time before then,
we'll probably use it.  In the meantime, I have to make sure 1.3
works before I move to 2.0.  (Assuming I got SSL working, the only
thing left is figuring out what to do about case-insensitivity in
HFS+.)

  This libtool problem is something I need to figure out.  I've
known for a long time than one day it would bite us, and Apache 2.0
is going to be it.  I may still be able to rename our libtool, for
example, though I'll probably get clobbered for it.

  I believe the reason we're having problems is that it's new and
somewhat complicated, and it will take some time and effort to sort
it out, as such things often do.

	-Fred

Posted by Wilfredo Sanchez <ws...@apple.com>.

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
This has been stated a few times, but not with a clear Subject:
header. :)

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 11:11:12AM -0700, pg@sweng.stortek.com wrote:
> OK.  How do I do this?

cd src
./buildconf
./configure --options
make

I'm not planning to dump it into a README, because it's going to
change once APACI/Configure is removed.

> And when will autoconf be able to deal with shadow directories?

If it hasn't already been done, when someone codes it.