Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/03 13:55:59 UTC

Re: Text editing in the Karaf console

I am not sure if having it as part of the Karaf trunk would be a really
good idea.
Such editor can have a wider scope than the container itself and at its
early days it could use a faster release cycle and/or contributions from
other communities with similar needs that are not using karaf.

Of course, there is always the maintenance burden of an extra subproject
which we should take into consideration.

Thoughts?

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*

Re: Text editing in the Karaf console

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andreas!

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Definitely a BIG +1. I've done some quick editing with your patch,
karaf and the editor and I must admit I REALLY like it. Although not
perfect it would have been so incredible useful to have such a tool in
the runtime environment from time to time I'm strongly +1 to simply
include it as it and enhance/improve it as required.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Great, thanks for the update Ioannis.

I gonna take a look.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Text editing in the Karaf console

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
For now I have pushed it at: https://github.com/iocanel/vial

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I also think a github project could be a good place.
If the project is really tied to jline, a subproject of
https://github.com/jline could be a good idea, or an individual project
maybe.
Anyway, I'm eager to have a look at the code and try it :-)

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Text editing in the Karaf console

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It makes sense.

Why not a jline or jansi "extension" ?

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Text editing in the Karaf console

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
well, in that case I think a github project might be the best solution.
Independently we can still include it in trunk as a reference then (which
would still have my +1)..

Kind regards,
Andreas