Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Pete Gale <pe...@csisnet5.uvsc.edu> on 1999/12/12 05:05:47 UTC

general/5461: CGIs run in /home/httpd/cgi-bin, but not anywhere else

>Number:         5461
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       CGIs run in /home/httpd/cgi-bin, but not anywhere else
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
After upgrading apache and making the necessary changes to httpd.conf,
none of the previously-working CGI's on the system
would work unless they were located in /home/httpd/cgi-bin. I can copy a
working cgi from /home/httpd/cgi-bin to a user's cgi-bin directory, and it
returns the following error (on the browser):

--------------------------------
(500 Internal Server Error)
Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator, www@csisnet5.uvsc.edu and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.

------------------------------------
In the error log, I see the following line:
[Sat Dec 11 20:49:24 1999] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of script headers: /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/xx.cgi

Here is a copy of the relevant parts of my httpd.conf:
---------------------------
LoadModule cgi_module         modules/mod_cgi.so
AddModule mod_cgi.c

User www
Group www

<Directory /home/httpd/cgi-bin>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory /home/*/public_html/cgi-bin>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .sh .pl
>How-To-Repeat:
Every working cgi I copy from /home/httpd/cgi-bin to
/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin will not work. All permissions are set exactly
as they were with Apache 1.3.6, which worked just fine. I can send you the
URL for an example, but this is the case for every cgi on the system.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]