Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tracey Zellmann <tr...@comcast.net> on 2006/02/17 20:08:19 UTC

best way to use fop to layout report.

I am getting comfortable running and using fop. Now I need some advice on the best way to use it to create my report. It seems to me that a table at the start of each page will work, but I have read that FOP has so much other capability, that tables are seldom needed. Let me briefly describe my design, and someone may give me some feedback.

Survey participants have evaluated automobiles by sitting in different positions and answering 15 questions - either voting for 0 - 10, or marking an image of the car. Then for each question, they can also offer text comments. The report will summarize and assemble this data. For various cars, there are one, two or three rows, always a left seat and a right seat. The votes are tabulated in histograms, and the image marks are put onto svg images of the car, one for each question and position. A four seat car would have 60. Comments are presented as a bulleted list.

The report would start one page for each seating row, with two columns, left column for the left seat and right column for the right seat. The page title states the car name and the specific question. The column heading states the position. Then the column would have either a histogram or a car image, followed below by a bulleted list of comments. Same thing repeated on the right column for the right seating position. The number of respondents may be different for each position.

The data is available as an xml document. I will write an xslt stylesheet to transform the data to fo.

I can see how to do this with a table, much like how I could do it with html. The car images and histograms would be in-line svg documents.

Is there a better approach?

Re: best way to use fop to layout report.

Posted by Tracey Zellmann <tr...@comcast.net>.
Thanks for your reply and your offer. I'll take you up on it when I am a
little farther along. Layout and FOP is new ground for me, so I appreciate
any help.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Ah, I see now what you've been targetting at: Abusing tables to do all
sorts of layout tricks. Yeah, you can do that with XSL-FO, and yes,
depending on your layout requirements there are better choices. However,
FOP still doesn't implement some of the features that might help in
certain situations (like fo:float). You're welcome to point us/me to
your work if you would like someone give you a second-opinion/review at
any time. Usually, it's easier to make suggestions if you can actually
see what someone's doing.

On 18.02.2006 12:52:20 Tracey Zellmann wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I will certainly post an example when I get it done. The first cut will just
> be functional, and needs some feedback from the customer to get the layout
> and details right.
>
> Regarding Tables in FOP, I was reading Dave Pawson's book XSL-FO from
> O'Reilly. His quote is:
>
> XSL-FO is not like HTML. It is mostly unnecessary to use tables for layout
> as has been done in HTML. The XSL-FO vocabulary provides so much more than
> HTML that you shouldn't fall back on tables simply to obtain an effect you
> have achieved on the Web. The table-formatting object is for formatting
> tabular data. There may be circumstances where table-based formatting is
> necessary, but they will be rare.
>
> So, I am glad to hear that Tables are still useful and acceptable.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: best way to use fop to layout report.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.