Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/24 16:55:52 UTC

Move off of Gitflow

I put a task in JIRA to "Move off of GitFlow" and during the working group
we decided that this should be opened up for discussion on the Dev list.

Concretely, I'm proposing merging "develop" into "master" and removing the
"develop" branch.

If I don't hear any anything "nay"s in the next day or so, I'm going to go
ahead and perform this.

From the Jira Ticket:

Gitflow on an Apache project is a bit annoying. I propose we follow the
pattern of other Apache Projects (eg. NiFi, Spark, Accumulo) and have
master (the default branch) contain the latest major release line under
development.

This would have a couple immediate benefits:

1. As committers, we have to manually pester contributors to close their
pull requests after we merge their PRs. Instead we can use the GitHub
"closes #<issue>" semantics to automatically close the PR after a merge.

2. As a community, we would be more aligned with other conventions used in
Apache projects.

3. As developers, we have to be (slightly) more mindful where we point
other developers. We have to make a point of saying "the 'develop'
branch... not that default one"

(I concede I'm really reaching for the last point  )

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-164

Re: Move off of Gitflow

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.
I'm going to implement this now.

I'm going to test out the GitHub PR "closes" feature when I pull in David's
build fix PR [1]

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/pull/80