Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/01/29 20:19:21 UTC

[Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

We've refined the commons-logging APIs, and documented the mechanics.  In
addition, I've heard from numerous people on various projects that would
like to use these APIs, but are hesitant to do so without a 1.0 release.

Therefore, I'd like to now propose that we do a 1.0 release of the
commons-logging package, based on the current contents of the CVS
repository for this package.  I will volunteer to act as release manager,
following the standard process for Commons packages:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases.html

----- CUT HERE -----
[ ] +1  I support the release of Commons Logging 1.0 and will help
[ ] +0  I support the release, but cannot help
[ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
[ ] -1  I am opposed to this release, and here's why (attach reasons)
----- CUT HERE -----

Craig McClanahan

Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> ----- CUT HERE -----
> [X] +1  I support the release of Commons Logging 1.0 and will help
> [ ] +0  I support the release, but cannot help
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am opposed to this release, and here's why (attach reasons)
> ----- CUT HERE -----

Remy

Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
> ----- CUT HERE -----
> [x] +1  I support the release of Commons Logging 1.0 and will help
> [ ] +0  I support the release, but cannot help
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am opposed to this release, and here's why (attach reasons)
> ----- CUT HERE -----

-- Ted Husted

Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1

> ----- CUT HERE -----
> [X] +1  I support the release of Commons Logging 1.0 and will help
> [ ] +0  I support the release, but cannot help
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am opposed to this release, and here's why (attach reasons)
> ----- CUT HERE -----

James

Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> We've refined the commons-logging APIs, and documented the mechanics.  In
> addition, I've heard from numerous people on various projects that would
> like to use these APIs, but are hesitant to do so without a 1.0 release.
>
> Therefore, I'd like to now propose that we do a 1.0 release of the
> commons-logging package, based on the current contents of the CVS
> repository for this package.  I will volunteer to act as release manager,
> following the standard process for Commons packages:
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases.html
>
> ----- CUT HERE -----
> [ ] +1  I support the release of Commons Logging 1.0 and will help
> [ ] +0  I support the release, but cannot help
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am opposed to this release, and here's why (attach reasons)
> ----- CUT HERE -----

-1

How many logger abstractions do we need?  Avalon has a perfectly good one.
(I am not a committer on commons though...).

It looks like a direct rip off of the Avalon logger abstraction, and despite
the work that Peter Donald and I put into it, we get no mention.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
I'm going to vote +1.

I was among those who voted -1 the first time this commons logging was
proposed, and my reason was that I hoped log4j would be used instead.
It is a top level project, and that's what it is supposed to do - logging.

It seems I was wrong. This is not about code, but community, and from some
reasons log4j was never accepted by a lot of people as the right solution
for the logging API.

I would like to ask for about a week before freezing - I want to read the
code first, and I suppose other people would want to do the same. This
will be an important API, and it needs a lot more review than most other
common components.

Costin

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 07:19 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> ----- CUT HERE -----
> [X] +1  I support the release of Commons Logging 1.0 and will help
> [ ] +0  I support the release, but cannot help
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am opposed to this release, and here's why (attach reasons)
> ----- CUT HERE -----

- robert