Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tess Snider <ma...@terpalum.umd.edu> on 2004/03/17 03:30:46 UTC

Chronic "file not found"

Hi there.  I'm running a small SVN server for a team of game developers.
All of the team is using TortoiseSVN for their client.  The programmers
have been using the system for a couple of months now, and are pretty
comfy with it.  However, as soon as the artists started committing things
to the repository, all hell broke loose.  They immediately had naming
problems (capital-lowercase collisions, etc.), and other disasters.  We've
done our best to clean up after the hurricane, but we're still getting
chronic, rolling errors in the artwork directories.  I've heard reports of
repeated working copy locking errors from the gang, and whenever I try to
update the artwork directories, I get an error that looks like this:

	REPORT request failed on '/svn/!svn/vcc/default'

	file not found: transaction 't6', path '/my/path/to/Broken.psd'

Now, that file is IN the directory, and IN the repository, and if I delete
the file from my working copy, and then do an update on the folder, I get
the same bloody error, yet, it somehow manages to grab the file, anyway.

Does anyone have any clues why this might be happening, or how to clear it
up?  My team is starting to be a bit unimpressed with their tools, and I'd
like to restore their faith in the repository, lest I come back and find
them worshipping a golden calf. :)

Tess

Re: Chronic "file not found"

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 18:31, Tess Snider wrote:

> I'll upgrade to a more recent version and report back whether that solved
> the problem.  (Time for me to go RTFM how to safely upgrade without
> blowing up my repositories.  ;) )  Thanks for bearing with me, in any
> event!

Here's a hint:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

Re: Chronic "file not found"

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 16:32, Tess Snider wrote:

> Here are some quick notes:

Wonderful bug report!  Thank you for the detail.  But now I'm going to
be extremely annoying and pre-empt your entire request for help with a
sweeping generalization.  :-)

> 2.) Server version: 0.32.1

This server is 5 months old.  Zillions of bugs have been fixed since
then.  It's a waste of *both* our time to try to chase down any bugs in
something that isn't 1.0.  Please: upgrade the server to 1.0.1, and see
if anything gets better.   If not, then we can start hunting.

Re: Chronic "file not found"

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Tess Snider wrote:
 > Though, my users are already showing up at my gate with
> pitchforks and torches, because they're sick to death of having to start a
> new checkout from scratch every time Subversion decides to start randomly
> spitting out errors,

Unfortunately, we need more detail about the errors you're seeing and/or
information about how and when they happen, so we can reproduce.
Obviously, this isn't the norm.  My suspicion is that somehow your
"artists" are behaving differently (using TortoiseSVN in bad ways?) so
as to create these problems.

But so far, your description has been things like "disasters", "chronic,
rolling errors", "randomly spitting out errors", and "repeated working
copy locking errors".  This isn't much help to us, so I'm not sure what
to suggest other than "more specifics, please."

Re: Chronic "file not found"

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 21:30, Tess Snider wrote:
>  whenever I try to
> update the artwork directories, I get an error that looks like this:
>
> 	REPORT request failed on '/svn/!svn/vcc/default'
>
> 	file not found: transaction 't6', path '/my/path/to/Broken.psd'
>
> Now, that file is IN the directory, and IN the repository, and if I delete
> the file from my working copy, and then do an update on the folder, I get
> the same bloody error, yet, it somehow manages to grab the file, anyway.

It manages to grab the file by grabbing copying .svn/text-base/ back out
into your visible area.  That's why you see "Restored file", instead of
the update printing "A  file".

So, what happens when you simply try to do a fresh checkout the URL of
the parent directory which holds the troubled file?

Re: Chronic "file not found"

Posted by Tess Snider <ma...@terpalum.umd.edu>.
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Uh, have you run 'svnadmin verify' on the repository?

Verify comes up clean, all the way through the last revision, 306.

> Apache isn't accessing the repository via network share, right?

Ew, no.  It's on the same machine.

Tess

Re: Chronic "file not found"

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 21:30, Tess Snider wrote:

> 	REPORT request failed on '/svn/!svn/vcc/default'
>
> 	file not found: transaction 't6', path '/my/path/to/Broken.psd'

Uh, have you run 'svnadmin verify' on the repository?  Apache isn't
accessing the repository via network share, right?

Re: Chronic "file not found"

Posted by McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com>.
it's been my experience that this is the case with any tool. a good round of
training and threats of beatings and/or termination might do the trick, but
probably not.  one thing to be very aware of, is that people of a certain ilk
will just ignore the training and do whatever it takes to get their work in.
my favorite and most common cite is the practice of overwriting results of
svn up with what they wanted to commit, then committing it, possibly
reverting several commits in the process.  good luck.

anyway, what OS is this? windows possibly?  can you come up with a recipe to
reproduce this?  there have been recent changes to the windows case
sensitivity code.

--
McClain Looney
LoonSoft LLC