Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2012/12/13 21:02:08 UTC

[VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

All of the JIRA issues associated with 2.3.1 are now resolved.  Here is our
first try at voting to release 2.3.1.

I created a release artifact based off of the 2.3 bugfixes branch.  I copied
that branch to a tag under the tags area of the repo that is named
release-2.3.1-RC1:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/vcl/tags/release-2.3.1-RC1/

The artifact is an export from that tag with the addition of Dojo Toolkit
version 1.6.1 with a custom VCL profile bundled in the web code.  The
artifact, MD5 and SHA1 sums, and my GPG signature of it are available from my
space on people.a.o:

http://people.apache.org/~jfthomps/apache-VCL-2.3.1-RC1/

The list of resolved JIRA issues associated with this release can be found
under 2.3.1 on the Change Log page in the staging area of the CMS:

http://vcl.staging.apache.org/docs/changelog.html

Installation instructions are in the INSTALLATION file included in the
artifact and in the staging area of the CMS:

http://vcl.staging.apache.org/docs/VCL231InstallGuide.html

I was able to successfully do test installs and upgrades, including image
deploying and capture.

The directory created by extracting the RC1 artifact is "apache-VCL-2.3.1-RC1"
(after extracting, you may want to rename it to "apache-VCL-2.3" so you can
copy and paste all of the commands in the installation guide).  Licensing
information about perl and its required modules, php and its required modules,
and mysql are stated as "system requirements" according to the information
under "System Requirements" on http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html.

After we finalize a release vote, the staging part of the CMS will be
published to update the production site.

Please vote by the end of the day on Tuesday, December 18th to publish this
release (this allows for 3 business days to vote).  Please note that anyone in
the VCL community is allowed to vote.

[ ] +1 yes, release VCL 2.3.1
[ ] 0 dunno
[ ] -1 no, don't release VCL 2.3.1 (provide reasons if this is your vote)

Josh
- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Aaron, Thanks for finding those errors. It looks like the artifact was
built from the wrong set of files.

The branch https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/vcl/branches/vcl-2.3-bugfixes/
appears to have the correct set.

 I'm retracting my +1 on this vote.

+0

These issues are stopper for this artifact, so the vote will likely
get stopped by Josh. He's out of the office today, but hopefully he'll
check in to intervene.

Aaron P

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
For 2.3.1, the only thing that was changed regarding this issue is that the
name in the database is only changed during image capture.  I had
inadvertently left the calls to _clean_vm_name commented out in trunk and
just fixed this.  This was done when adding the feature allowing you to
specify the VM folder path -- changes not merged into bugfix.

Only changing the image name during image capture isn't a perfect fix.  It
was done to prevent existing images from breaking on all hosts which
already had a copy of the image after the image was copied once on a host
controlled by vSphere_SDK.pm.

There shouldn't be a problem if all hosts in the environment are controlled
by vSphere_SDK.pm.   There also shouldn't be any problems for mixed
vSphere_SDK.pm/non-vSphere_SDK.pm environments for images captured on hosts
controlled by vSphere_SDK.pm.  The name will be shortened in the database
and image files.  There will be problems loading an image on a vCenter host
if the following conditions are true:
-Mixed vSphere_SDK.pm/non-vSphere_SDK.pm environment with some vCenter hosts
-Image captured on host not controlled by vSphere_SDK.pm
-Image has long name

Although not perfect, I thought this would cause fewer problems than
before.  A more elaborate solution can be applied.  I didn't delve into
this for the bugfix release because the problem affects a small number of
environments, but I was thinking of having the code get the long name from
the database and then check if files with either the long or shortened name
exist in the datastore during load.

Also, this may be less of an issue for vCenter 5.x.  The name limit seems
to have been increased to 80 characters.

-Andy

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

- --
- -------------------------------

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [VOTE][ENDED] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

I attempted to send out an email on Friday to end this vote.  Apparently, it
got hung up somewhere - I just noticed it never made it to the list.  Here's
another try.

Vote ended due to it being based off of trunk instead of the bugfix branch.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Henry Schaffer <he...@ncsu.edu>.
0

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
+1

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Larry Burton <larry_burton@runningcedar.com
> [...]

>> published to update the production site.
>>
>> Please vote by the end of the day on Tuesday, December 18th to publish
>> this
>> release (this allows for 3 business days to vote).  Please note that
>> anyone in
>> the VCL community is allowed to vote.
>>
>> [ ] +1 yes, release VCL 2.3.1
>> [ ] 0 dunno
>> [ ] -1 no, don't release VCL 2.3.1 (provide reasons if this is your vote)
>>
>> Josh
>> - -- - ------------------------------**-
>> Josh Thompson
>> VCL Developer
>> North Carolina State University
>>
>> my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu
>>
>> All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
>> are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
>> Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.

Mark Gardner

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Larry Burton <la...@runningcedar.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
+1

Looks good, license headers are there and successfully went through an
install.

RE: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by "Waldron, Michael H" <mw...@email.unc.edu>.
+1

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [VOTE] release 2.3.1 (RC1)

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
+1

On Dec 13, 2012, at 15:02 , Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> wrote:

> All of the JIRA issues associated with 2.3.1 are now resolved.  Here is our
> first try at voting to release 2.3.1.
>
> I created a release artifact based off of the 2.3 bugfixes branch.  I copied
> that branch to a tag under the tags area of the repo that is named
> release-2.3.1-RC1:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/vcl/tags/release-2.3.1-RC1/
>
> The artifact is an export from that tag with the addition of Dojo Toolkit
> version 1.6.1 with a custom VCL profile bundled in the web code.  The
> artifact, MD5 and SHA1 sums, and my GPG signature of it are available from my
> space on people.a.o:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jfthomps/apache-VCL-2.3.1-RC1/
>
> The list of resolved JIRA issues associated with this release can be found
> under 2.3.1 on the Change Log page in the staging area of the CMS:
>
> http://vcl.staging.apache.org/docs/changelog.html
>
> Installation instructions are in the INSTALLATION file included in the
> artifact and in the staging area of the CMS:
>
> http://vcl.staging.apache.org/docs/VCL231InstallGuide.html
>
> I was able to successfully do test installs and upgrades, including image
> deploying and capture.
>
> The directory created by extracting the RC1 artifact is "apache-VCL-2.3.1-RC1"
> (after extracting, you may want to rename it to "apache-VCL-2.3" so you can
> copy and paste all of the commands in the installation guide).  Licensing
> information about perl and its required modules, php and its required modules,
> and mysql are stated as "system requirements" according to the information
> under "System Requirements" on http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html.
>
> After we finalize a release vote, the staging part of the CMS will be
> published to update the production site.
>
> Please vote by the end of the day on Tuesday, December 18th to publish this
> release (this allows for 3 business days to vote).  Please note that anyone in
> the VCL community is allowed to vote.
>
> [ ] +1 yes, release VCL 2.3.1
> [ ] 0 dunno
> [ ] -1 no, don't release VCL 2.3.1 (provide reasons if this is your vote)
>
> Josh
> - --
> Josh Thompson
> VCL Developer
> North Carolina State University

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
VCL Sys Eng, Engineering & Architectural Support, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175 | Fax: (703) 993-3404