Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/04/06 01:17:51 UTC

Profiles and repositories

I was trying to setup a profile to allow a custom stage repository to
be used, which its url is specified with the stage.repositoryUrl
property.  But this doesn't seem to work at all :-(

This is the profile I created:

----8<-----
<profile>
     <id>stage-repository</id>

     <activation>
         <property>
             <name>stage.repositoryUrl</name>
         </property>
     </activation>

     <repositories>
         <repository>
             <id>stage-repository</id>
             <url>${stage.repositoryUrl}</url>
             <layout>default</layout>
             <snapshots>
                 <enabled>false</enabled>
             </snapshots>
             <releases>
                 <enabled>true</enabled>
             </releases>
         </repository>
     </repositories>

     <pluginRepositories>
         <pluginRepository>
             <id>stage-repository</id>
             <url>${stage.repositoryUrl}</url>
             <layout>default</layout>
             <snapshots>
                 <enabled>false</enabled>
             </snapshots>
             <releases>
                 <enabled>true</enabled>
             </releases>
         </pluginRepository>
     </pluginRepositories>
</profile>
---->8----

Though this profile does not even get installed before Maven starts
to resolve the parent pom of the module.  And in my case, the version
of the parent pom I need is only in that stage repository.

If I move the <repository> out of the profile, then the repository is
enabled, but mvn reports it as:

     stage-repository (${stage.repositoryUrl})

Maven doesn't seem to care that I ran in with `mvn -
Dstage.repositoryUrl=someurl`.

I really wanted to create a profile to allow pre-releases to be
verified against a dependency project's stage repo w/o having to
update the poms configuration each time.

Is there any reason why the profile as defined above should not work?

--jason