Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com> on 2016/11/14 13:57:16 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-84: Support SASL SCRAM mechanisms

Hi all,

I would like to initiate the voting process for *KIP-84: Support SASL/SCRAM
mechanisms*:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-84%3A+Support+SASL+SCRAM+mechanisms

This KIP adds support for four SCRAM mechanisms (SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384
and SHA-512) for SASL authentication, giving more choice for users to
configure security. When delegation token support is added to Kafka, SCRAM
will also support secure authentication using delegation tokens.

Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] KIP-84: Support SASL SCRAM mechanisms

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Oops, I had sent the following note, but it was sent as a response to Jun
Rao and I didn't realize it wasn't sent to dev list. Thanks for pointing
out, Ismael. The KIP has been moved to adopted list.

*This vote has passed with three binding (Gwen, Jun, Ismael) and three
non-binding votes (Mickael, Edo, me). *

*Thank you all for your votes and feedback.*

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Jun,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Jun,

Any thoughts on reducing the number of mechanisms and supporting only

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Ismael,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Rajini,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ismael,

Thank you for the review.

1. I think you had asked earlier for SCRAM-SHA-1 to be removed since it is
not secure :-) I am happy to add that back in so that clients which don't
have access to a more secure algorithm can use it. But it would be a shame
to prevent users who only need Java clients from using more secure
mechanisms. Since SHA-1 is not secure, you need a secure Zookeeper
installation (or store your credentials in an alternative secure store)..
By supporting multiple algorithms, we are giving the choice to users. It
doesn't add much additional code, just the additional tests (one
integration test per mechanism). As more clients support new mechanisms,
users can enable these without any changes to Kafka.

2. OK, since it has come up multiple times, I will update the KIP to use a
more verbose format.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Rajini,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Radai,

I don't have a strong objection to using a more verbose format. But the
reasons for choosing the cryptic s=<salt>,t=<storedKey>,... format:

   1. Unlike other properties like quotas stored in Zookeeper which need to
   be human readable in order to query the values, these values only need to

Posted by radai <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com>.
+1 (non-binding)
Edoardo Comar
IBM MessageHub
ecomar@uk.ibm.com
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN

IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number
741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6
3AU

From:   Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   15/11/2016 11:00
Subject:        Re: [VOTE] KIP-84: Support SASL SCRAM mechanisms

Jun,

Thank you, I have made the updates to the KIP.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:34 AM, Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hi, Rajini,
>
> Thanks for the proposal. +1. A few minor comments.
>
> 30. Could you add that the broker config sasl.enabled.mechanisms can now
> take more values?
>
> 31. Could you document the meaning of s,t,k,i used in
/config/users/alice
> in ZK?
>
> 32. In the rejected section, could you document why we decided not to
bump
> up the version of SaslHandshakeRequest?
>
> Jun
>

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:57 AM, Rajini Sivaram <
> rajinisivaram@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to initiate the voting process for *KIP-84: Support
> SASL/SCRAM
> > mechanisms*:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-
> > 84%3A+Support+SASL+SCRAM+mechanisms
> >
> > This KIP adds support for four SCRAM mechanisms (SHA-224, SHA-256,
> SHA-384
> > and SHA-512) for SASL authentication, giving more choice for users to
> > configure security. When delegation token support is added to Kafka,
> SCRAM
> > will also support secure authentication using delegation tokens.
> >
> > Thank you...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rajini

Rajini

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: [VOTE] KIP-84: Support SASL SCRAM mechanisms

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Jun,

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Rajini,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Another committer vote is needed for this to go through. Anyone have time
to review?

Thank you!

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1