Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dylan MacDonald <dy...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/06 19:11:52 UTC

Using Tiles definitions with query strings in Struts Config

Hi -

So first off I am not a Java developer. I am a front-end web developer
who has used the Struts tags, JSTL and Tiles definitions.  Hopefully my
question won't seem too naive, and hopefully the answer won't be too
complex. 8-)

Anyway, I am coverting a friend's Struts web site to use tiles
definitions.  Everything has been pretty straightforward so far but I
have run into an issue that I don't know how to resolve.  Several of
the forward actions in the struts config he set up have a path that
goes to a JSP plus a query string, e.g. <forward name="success"
path="/form/EditAd.jsp?action=Edit" redirect="true"/>

The problem I'm having is that I cannot see how to substitute a tiles
definition for this JSP + query string reference.  Clearly
path=".form.editAd?action=Edit" won't work.  So how to do it?  I have
heard that passing along a query string in the forward action path is
not
necessarily proper, but this is what I have to work with.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Dylan MacDonald

Re: Using Tiles definitions with query strings in Struts Config

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
You won't be able to include query strings in the tiles definition,
because you can't make a tiles definition do a redirect.

On the other hand, if the URLs were going directly to JSPs before
with request parameters, then you should be able to adjust things
without writing any Java code.  I would probably define multiple
tiles definitions, each of which has a <put> element like this:

   <put name="action" value="Edit" />

(with appropriately varied values).  Then, in the page, you can use
<tiles:useAttribute> and standard JSTL logic do test for the value in
an equivalent way to the current JSP-level tests against request
parameters.

Joe

At 10:11 AM -0800 2/6/05, Dylan MacDonald wrote:
>Hi -
>
>So first off I am not a Java developer. I am a front-end web developer
>who has used the Struts tags, JSTL and Tiles definitions.  Hopefully my
>question won't seem too naive, and hopefully the answer won't be too
>complex. 8-)
>
>Anyway, I am coverting a friend's Struts web site to use tiles
>definitions.  Everything has been pretty straightforward so far but I
>have run into an issue that I don't know how to resolve.  Several of
>the forward actions in the struts config he set up have a path that
>goes to a JSP plus a query string, e.g. <forward name="success"
>path="/form/EditAd.jsp?action=Edit" redirect="true"/>
>
>The problem I'm having is that I cannot see how to substitute a tiles
>definition for this JSP + query string reference.  Clearly
>path=".form.editAd?action=Edit" won't work.  So how to do it?  I have
>heard that passing along a query string in the forward action path is
>not
>necessarily proper, but this is what I have to work with.  Any
>suggestions?
>
>Thanks very much,
>
>Dylan MacDonald

Joe Germuska