Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stephan Schiessling <s...@rapi.com> on 2001/11/17 14:09:35 UTC

connectiontimeout problem

James2.0a2 denied to receive emails which take more than 6 minutes to transfer.
(Depending on speed of internet connection, this may be the case for emails with size > 0.5 MB).

The timeout-counting starts if DATA section starts, so it is not
a timeout, which starts, when socket has no data !

I think the default installation of james (means: only a few things in james/conf/config.xml are changed)
should not have this hidden limitation.
Therefore I suggest to set this connectiontimeout value (connectiontimeout in handler in smtpserver)
to a much higher value, just for the default installation.

Bye,

Stephan Schiessling
s@rapi.com

NB: I already sent this message to this mailing list yesterday, and it was sent successfully.
     But I didn't get it back !?

Re: connectiontimeout problem

Posted by Stephan Schiessling <s...@rapi.com>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Stephan,
>
> For now the workaround is to set the timeout to much longer in the SMTP
> handler.  The danger of setting the timeout too high is that if you have
> someone errantly connecting to your server (or remotely getting stuck during
> delivery), you'll have a lot of extra threads waiting for data that's never
> coming.
>
> What I intend to do is add a special InputStream in the SMTP handler so that
> the timeout will get reset every few kb that has been sent.  This way, as
> long as the server is still receiving data at some reasonable rate (I'm not
> sure what's reasonable... maybe 14.4kbps, so 1k/s??), then the connection
> will not get timed out.

I think this would be a good solution. I would take 1k/s as default.

Bye,

Stephan Schiessling
s@rapi.com

Re: connectiontimeout problem

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Stephan,

For now the workaround is to set the timeout to much longer in the SMTP
handler.  The danger of setting the timeout too high is that if you have
someone errantly connecting to your server (or remotely getting stuck during
delivery), you'll have a lot of extra threads waiting for data that's never
coming.

What I intend to do is add a special InputStream in the SMTP handler so that
the timeout will get reset every few kb that has been sent.  This way, as
long as the server is still receiving data at some reasonable rate (I'm not
sure what's reasonable... maybe 14.4kbps, so 1k/s??), then the connection
will not get timed out.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>