Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com> on 2016/06/15 22:12:38 UTC

Testing metadata upgrade techniques

Hi,

I’m starting to test some metadata upgrade logic for Trafodion 2.1.

Now, the test case I wish to explore is to take earlier metadata (such as
from Trafodion 2.0) and upgrade that to my new metadata definitions.

I have such an instance at the moment. However after one test, I probably
won’t have that anymore.

I can get a new one of course by undoing all my code changes, rebuilding,
doing an “initialize trafodion, drop” + “initialize trafodion”, then
putting my code changes back in, and testing again. But that seems like a
bother.

Is there a better way to do this? Maybe via HBase snapshots?

Thanks,

Dave

RE: Testing metadata upgrade techniques

Posted by Anoop Sharma <an...@esgyn.com>.
best way would be to backup current metadata/tables, test out
upgrade and then restore the backed up md if upgrade needs
to be repeated.

backup/restore utilities/scripts for trafodion are in:
  sqf/hbase_utilities/backup_and_restore dir

They use snapshot to backup.

anoop