Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Siegfried Göschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2003/02/14 17:23:38 UTC

RFC: Proposal for SourceMonitor Plugin

I would like to start a new Maven plugin utilizing the free
SourceMonitor (http://www.campwoodsw.com).

It is a windows-based GUI application and allows to capture source
code metrics of various programming languages (C,C++, Deplhi, Visual
Basic, Java and HTML) rapidly.

The killer feature IMHO is the ability to checkpoint the measured
projects and visualize the metric changes between the checkpoints.

It captures the following metrics

+) Statements
+) Percent Branch Statement
+) Method Call Statements
+) Percent Lines with Comments
+) Classes and Interfaces
+) Methods per Class
+) Average Statements per Method
+) Statements in Biggest Method
+) Maximum Block Depth
+) Average Block Depth

SourceMonitor is currently rewritten to separate the engine from the
GUI using XML reports and commands. The engine could be run from the
command line on Windows and LINUX and create the XML reports.

IMHO a plugin for simple source code metrics and checkpointing
facility is missing

+) the JDepend plugin provides a few metrics
+) the JavaNCSS plugin provides no integration with JXR at the moment

VISION

+) Provide a plugin running the SourceMonitor engine to create
metrics as XML reports

+) Transform the XML report to XDOC with full source cross
referencing support

+) The visualization of the checkpoints with SVG generated images

HELP REQUESTED

+) Is there anyone out there who would take care of the SVG part?! I
would love to have SVG generated images.

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: RFC: Proposal for SourceMonitor Plugin

Posted by Siegfried Göschl <si...@it20one.at>.
The JavaNCSS can be downloaded at

http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net

Thanks

Siegfried Goeschl

On 14 Feb 2003 at 18:27, Jean-François El  Fouly wrote:

> We also need some informations of this kind.
> I had some experience with JavaNCSS outside Maven and a JavaNCSS
> plugin would satisfy our needs. JavaNCSS has been able to output XML
> since a while and it would probably be easy to integrate in Maven the
> information it delivers.
>
> A 17:23 14/02/2003 +0100, vous avez écrit :
> >I would like to start a new Maven plugin utilizing the free
> >SourceMonitor (http://www.campwoodsw.com).
> >
> >It is a windows-based GUI application and allows to capture source
> >code metrics of various programming languages (C,C++, Deplhi, Visual
> >Basic, Java and HTML) rapidly.
> >
> >The killer feature IMHO is the ability to checkpoint the measured
> >projects and visualize the metric changes between the checkpoints.
> >
> >It captures the following metrics
> >
> >+) Statements
> >+) Percent Branch Statement
> >+) Method Call Statements
> >+) Percent Lines with Comments
> >+) Classes and Interfaces
> >+) Methods per Class
> >+) Average Statements per Method
> >+) Statements in Biggest Method
> >+) Maximum Block Depth
> >+) Average Block Depth
> >

> >SourceMonitor is currently rewritten to separate the engine from the
> >GUI using XML reports and commands. The engine could be run from the
> >command line on Windows and LINUX and create the XML reports.
> >
> >IMHO a plugin for simple source code metrics and checkpointing
> >facility is missing
> >
> >+) the JDepend plugin provides a few metrics
> >+) the JavaNCSS plugin provides no integration with JXR at the moment
> >

> >VISION
> >=====================================================
> >
> >+) Provide a plugin running the SourceMonitor engine to create
> >metrics as XML reports
> >
> >+) Transform the XML report to XDOC with full source cross
> >referencing support
> >
> >+) The visualization of the checkpoints with SVG generated images
> >

> >HELP REQUESTED
> >=====================================================
> >
> >+) Is there anyone out there who would take care of the SVG part?! I
> >would love to have SVG generated images.
> >

> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >Siegfried Goeschl

Siegfried Goeschl
CTO
=================================
IT20one GmbH
mail: siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at
phone: +43-1-9900046
fax: +43-1-52 37 888
www.it20one.at

Re: RFC: Proposal for SourceMonitor Plugin

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.
There are some XSL scripts for generating charts shipped with Batik,
might help:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/contrib/charts/xsl/

Siegfried Göschl wrote:

>I would like to start a new Maven plugin utilizing the free
>SourceMonitor (http://www.campwoodsw.com).
>
>It is a windows-based GUI application and allows to capture source
>code metrics of various programming languages (C,C++, Deplhi, Visual
>Basic, Java and HTML) rapidly.
>
>The killer feature IMHO is the ability to checkpoint the measured
>projects and visualize the metric changes between the checkpoints.
>
>It captures the following metrics
>
>+) Statements
>+) Percent Branch Statement
>+) Method Call Statements
>+) Percent Lines with Comments
>+) Classes and Interfaces
>+) Methods per Class
>+) Average Statements per Method
>+) Statements in Biggest Method
>+) Maximum Block Depth
>+) Average Block Depth
>

>SourceMonitor is currently rewritten to separate the engine from the
>GUI using XML reports and commands. The engine could be run from the
>command line on Windows and LINUX and create the XML reports.
>
>IMHO a plugin for simple source code metrics and checkpointing
>facility is missing
>
>+) the JDepend plugin provides a few metrics
>+) the JavaNCSS plugin provides no integration with JXR at the moment
>

>VISION
>
>+) Provide a plugin running the SourceMonitor engine to create
>metrics as XML reports
>
>+) Transform the XML report to XDOC with full source cross
>referencing support
>
>+) The visualization of the checkpoints with SVG generated images
>

>HELP REQUESTED
>
>+) Is there anyone out there who would take care of the SVG part?! I
>would love to have SVG generated images.
>

>Thanks in advance
>
>Siegfried Goeschl

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).

Re: RFC: Proposal for SourceMonitor Plugin

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@wanadoo.fr>.