Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2021/06/25 01:10:29 UTC

Re: Defrag?

Ignite fellows,

I remember some of us worked on the persistence defragmentation features.
Has it been merged?

@Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com> probably you know the
latest state.

-
Denis

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Vladimir Steshin <vl...@gmail.com>.
             Hi, Ryan.

Current implementation doesn’t share free pages among cache partitions
when persistence is enabled. This happens because page is bound to
certain partition file and cannot be ‘moved’ and reused in another
partition. And there is no share of free pages among caches. Each has
its own. Free pages are never deleted. Under intensive CRUD operations
this can lead to allocation and keeping unused extra pages. Despite page
is empty, it has its reserved position and space in partition file.

Only the way is to re-create cache or stop/start node with clearing its
persistent storage so that it would be re-filled at start by PME process.

Since 2.10 there is maintenance mode for node where defragmentation task
goes with. Not documented yet as I can see. I could be started from
command line or through JMX. But node requires restart in maintenance mode.

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ryan Trollip <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ryan Trollip <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ryan Trollip <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ilya

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ryan Trollip <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ilya

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ryan Trollip <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ryan Trollip <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Defrag?

Posted by Ivan Bessonov <be...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ryan,

defragmentation is already implemented, your link was correct. The only
documentation that I know existing is located here: [1]

It's an offline process that you trigger on an online node. There's also a
"--defragmentation status" command to check the process for completion.
You should manually restart the node when defragmentation is completed.

That's a very quick introduction from me, please ask any specific questions.
I think we'll find a way to run it on your data without issues.

[1]
https://www.gridgain.com/docs/latest/administrators-guide/defragmentation

--
Sincerely yours,