Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by edward yoon <ed...@udanax.org> on 2008/03/10 01:54:54 UTC

netflix prize

Have you seen netflix prize event?
Winning a million dollars is cool.

http://www.netflixprize.com/

--
B. Regards,
Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.

Re: netflix prize

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Monday 10 March 2008, edward yoon wrote:
> Have you seen netflix prize event?

There are a few other additional contests out there - altough AFAIK the only
reward waiting for the participants is fame:

KDD Cup 2008 - part of the KDD conference
Data Mining Cup 2008 - a competition organized by the university Chemnitz
Web Spam Challenge 2008 - part of the web spam workshop

Are there any others you are aware of?

Isabel

--
I have made mistakes but I have never made the mistake of claiming that I have
never made one.		-- James Gordon Bennett
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: netflix prize

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I'm still anxious to try MMMF on the data, but the Netflix data is 100x
> larger than the data sets I've run MMMF on.  Matlab code I have just won't
> cut it...

We have code that can do it as a special case of our system. We did some
experiments as part of our last year NIPS paper which you can find here:

<http://books.nips.cc/papers/files/nips20/NIPS2007_0612.pdf>

A run on netflix took about 1 day. We did not evaluate using RMSE, though.

Greetings from Australia,

Markus

Re: netflix prize

Posted by Jason Rennie <jr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com> wrote:

> Sorry.  The first year prize is gone (the $50,000 progress prize for the
> first yet) and the subsequent yearly prizes are going to be very hard to
> get
> (squeezing water from a stone).  The asymptotic progress curve tells the
> story.

+1

There is still room for improvement---the algorithms that were applied in
the first progress prize weren't particularly fancy.  But, good luck running
fancy algorithms on a data set of that size.  And, it appears that no single
algorithm will get you to the top---as with the progress prize winners,
you'll likely need to combine 100+ algorithm outputs.  I'm still anxious to
try MMMF on the data, but the Netflix data is 100x larger than the data sets
I've run MMMF on.  Matlab code I have just won't cut it...

Jason

--
Jason Rennie
Head of Machine Learning Technologies, StyleFeeder

Re: netflix prize

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
Sorry.  The first year prize is gone (the $50,000 progress prize for the
first yet) and the subsequent yearly prizes are going to be very hard to get
(squeezing water from a stone).  The asymptotic progress curve tells the
story.

The official contest runs "at least until October 2011.

Re: netflix prize

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Monday 10 March 2008, Ted Dunning wrote:
> The netflix contest is essentially over.

Huh? Seems like I missed this. Could you please tell a little more about that?

Isabel

--
Hackers are just a migratory lifeform with a tropism for computers.
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: netflix prize

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.