Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2006/04/02 17:25:07 UTC

Default log file format

Re: Default log file format

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Default log file format

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Rich Bowen wrote:

> Would anyone object to setting the default logfile format to combined
> rather than common? Apart from the "we've always done it that way" line,
> is there any reason to leave it as is?

FWIW, this is one of the first things I change on every install I do of
httpd.

Doesn't everyone else do this too?

-Paul

Re: Default log file format

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Mads Toftum wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 11:40:27AM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > I was under the impression that we considered the default configuration
> > file to be a part of the documentation.
>
> Oh, that might be.

I just want to note, that the default log format is part of mod_log_config,
not the installed config file.

I have rather no opinion to the subject anyway ;)

nd
--
"Solides und umfangreiches Buch"
                                          -- aus einer Rezension

<http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>

Re: Default log file format

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 11:40:27AM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I was under the impression that we considered the default configuration
> file to be a part of the documentation.

Oh, that might be.

> I wasn't aware that this caused
> non-negligible performance impact. That being the case, perhaps this
> isn't worth pursuing. I was just thinking "out loud."

Nothing major, but it will still grow the logs by quite a bit.

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: Default log file format

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Default log file format

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 11:25:07AM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Would anyone object to setting the default logfile format to combined
> rather than common? Apart from the "we've always done it that way" line,
> is there any reason to leave it as is?

Combined logs more, using more space and slowing things down. For those
who don't care enough about logging to change it, the minimal format is
probably the best choice.
That being said, shouldn't this discussion be on dev@httpd?

vh

Mads Toftum