Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Júlio Maranhão <ju...@ieav.cta.br> on 2006/09/22 20:31:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache for Windows: restarting gracefully

Can Apache 2.0.X for Windows be gracefully restarted?

Using "Apache Service Monitor" what does the "Restart" button exactly
do? net stop/start Apache2 sequence, a graceful restart or neither?

Cheers

Júlio Maranhão

[users@httpd] Re: Apache for Windows: restarting gracefully

Posted by Júlio Maranhão <ju...@ieav.cta.br>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. escreveu:
> ...a graceful restart.

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache for Windows: restarting gracefully

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Júlio Maranhão wrote:
> Can Apache 2.0.X for Windows be gracefully restarted?

Yes...

> Using "Apache Service Monitor" what does the "Restart" button exactly
> do? net stop/start Apache2 sequence, a graceful restart or neither?

...a graceful restart.

If you use Win32's service manager, of course it's implemented as a
stop/start, so that isn't what you want.

There's a 'user defined' service control signal 128 that causes graceful,
and that's what the apachemonitor triggers.

[users@httpd] multiple virtual machines

Posted by "Chen, Charles" <Ch...@vignette.com>.
Hi,

I am working for a client who would like to group rewrite rules into
several virtual machines so it is logically clear and easy to maintain.

My question is:

1. is it something recommended or to be avoided?
2. what is the best way to do this if there is only one external
domain/IP? My understanding is that when the request comes in, it will
be intercepted by first virtual machine which will have a rewrite rule
to capture a group of URLs and proxy it to the second virtual machine?

Many thanks and regards

Charles

Re: [users@httpd] Apache for Windows: restarting gracefully

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Aaron Wagner wrote:
> I've always used the command prompt.
>
> apache -k restart

This also happens to cause a graceful by sending user-defined service
control word 128.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache for Windows: restarting gracefully

Posted by Aaron Wagner <aa...@technologist.com>.
I've always used the command prompt.

apache -k restart
OR
apache -k start
OR
apache -k stop

depending what you need.
The -k tells apache to apply the command to the service.  Make sure your
path statements are correct for this to work OR go to the /apache2/bin/
folder and issue commands.

aaron