Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2008/03/30 08:28:23 UTC

CheckIndex: pos -1 is out of bounds

Hey guys, a Solr user just encountered an interesting situation...

...due to a naive "LengthFilter", an Analyzer is produce a TokenStream
where the first Token has a positionIncrement of "0" which seems to
produce this error from CheckIndex...

     WARNING: would remove reference to this segment (-fix was not
specified); full exception:
java.lang.RuntimeException: term features:usa: doc 0: pos -1 is out of
bounds
         at org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex.check(CheckIndex.java:205)
         at org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex.main(CheckIndex.java:362)

...but as far as i can tell, the index is still usable.

Questions are:
   1) is CheckIndex over paranoid?
   2) shouldn't IndexWriter have protected against this if it is incorrect?

-Hoss

Re: CheckIndex: pos -1 is out of bounds

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Interesting!

I would be inclined to allow this, and fix CheckIndex's paranoia.  As
far as I can tell, Lucene itself does not mind if the position is -1
(at least PhraseQuery, SpanTermQuery happily find that Term at
position -1), although we do prevent setting positionIncrement to a
negative number in Token.java so you can't get less than -1.  Does
anyone know of actual cases where Lucene would choke on this?

Mike