Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ku3ia <de...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/08 19:24:24 UTC

Solr 4.6.0: DocValues (distributed search)

Hi!
Description
It would be nice if Solr supported DocValues:
for ID fields (fewer disk seeks when running distributed search),

Does docValues completely done for distributed search? for ID fields?
P.S. I'm using Solr 4.6.0 not in Cloud.

Re: Solr 4.6.0: DocValues (distributed search)

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/8/2014 11:24 AM, ku3ia wrote:
> Hi!
> Description
> It would be nice if Solr supported DocValues:
> for ID fields (fewer disk seeks when running distributed search),
>
> Does docValues completely done for distributed search? for ID fields?
> P.S. I'm using Solr 4.6.0 not in Cloud.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I went ahead
and added docValues to my uniqueKey field just in case.  If it's not
offering a performance increase now, it likely will in the future.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr 4.6.0: DocValues (distributed search)

Posted by ku3ia <de...@gmail.com>.
Manuel Le Normand wrote
> In short, when running a distributed search every shard runs the query
> separately. Each shard's collector returns the topN (rows param) internal
> docId's of the matching documents.
>
> These topN docId's are converted to their uniqueKey in the
> BinaryResponseWriter and sent to the frontend core (the one the received
> the query). This conversion is implemented by a StoredFieldVisitor,
> meaning
> the uniqueKeys are read from their stored field and not from their
> docValues.
>
> As in our use-case we have a high row param, these conversions became a
> performance bottleneck. We implemented a user-cache that stores the
> shard's
> uniqueKey docValues, which is a [docId, uniqueKey] mapping. This
> eliminates
> the need of accessing the stored field for these frequent conversions.
>
> You can have a look at the patch. Feel free commenting
>
> Best,
> Manuel
>

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM, ku3ia &lt;

> demesg@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Today I setup a simple SolrCloud with tow shards. Seems the same. When
>> I'm
>> debugging a distributed search I can't catch a break-point at lucene
>> codec
>> file, but when I'm using faceted search everything looks fine - debugger
>> stops.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with my question? Thanks.
>>

>> --

Hi, Manuel! Many thanks for your post! I'll try yours patch.

Re: Solr 4.6.0: DocValues (distributed search)

Posted by Manuel Le Normand <ma...@gmail.com>.