Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Pierre Delisle <Pi...@Sun.COM> on 2003/09/26 23:50:26 UTC

[VOTE] New committer: Mark Diggory

OK, let's make this official :-)

Committers:

I'd like to nominate Mark Diggory as a committer for Jakarta Taglibs.
He's been contributing to this community in various ways and would
be a a welcome addition to our group of committers.

  +1 for adding Mark as a committer.

    -- Pierre

Re: [VOTE] New committer: Mark Diggory

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
+1, Welcome aboard!

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
+1, Welcome aboard!

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Pierre Delisle wrote:

> OK, let's make this official :-)
>
> Committers:
>
> I'd like to nominate Mark Diggory as a committer for Jakarta Taglibs.
> He's been contributing to this community in various ways and would
> be a a welcome addition to our group of committers.
>
>  +1 for adding Mark as a committer.
>
>    -- Pierre

+1.

Mark is one of the good guys :-).

Craig

Re: [VOTE] New committer: Mark Diggory

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Pierre Delisle wrote:

> OK, let's make this official :-)
>
> Committers:
>
> I'd like to nominate Mark Diggory as a committer for Jakarta Taglibs.
> He's been contributing to this community in various ways and would
> be a a welcome addition to our group of committers.
>
>  +1 for adding Mark as a committer.
>
>    -- Pierre

+1.

Mark is one of the good guys :-).

Craig

Re: CVS commit messages? was (Re: Dual Taglibs...)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Actually, #2 *is* the way it's set up ... it's just that the first
> commit from a new committer goes to the taglibs-dev moderator,
> husted@apache.org (where it must still be sitting, waiting to be
> "allowed" through with no further moderations).
>
> I'll take care of the latter part (so that Mark's subsequent commits)
> flow through directly -- don't know at the moment how to moderate
> through the old message, so I'll have to do some research on that.

Looks good to go, thanks!

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: CVS commit messages? was (Re: Dual Taglibs...)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Just like Mark, I' easy on this issue.
> I don't mind going with 2, especially if that is how all the other
> jakarta projects operate.
>
> Craig, since you were involved in creating jakarta-taglibs, would
> you know (out of curiosity) how we ended up with cvs notifications
> going to jakarta-taglibs-cvs instead of taglibs-dev?

I have a vague recollection of people working on taglib "a" that didn't
care about commit messages for taglib "b" ... but separating the two
lists doesn't solve that problem anyway.

> Also, if there are no objections with going to 2 (let's give it
> a couple days), would you mind making the switch happen (or let
> us know how to do it).

Actually, #2 *is* the way it's set up ... it's just that the first
commit from a new committer goes to the taglibs-dev moderator,
husted@apache.org (where it must still be sitting, waiting to be
"allowed" through with no further moderations).

I'll take care of the latter part (so that Mark's subsequent commits)
flow through directly -- don't know at the moment how to moderate
through the old message, so I'll have to do some research on that.

> Thanks,
>
>    -- Pierre

Craig

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Just like Mark, I' easy on this issue.
> I don't mind going with 2, especially if that is how all the other
> jakarta projects operate.
>
> Craig, since you were involved in creating jakarta-taglibs, would
> you know (out of curiosity) how we ended up with cvs notifications
> going to jakarta-taglibs-cvs instead of taglibs-dev?

I have a vague recollection of people working on taglib "a" that didn't
care about commit messages for taglib "b" ... but separating the two
lists doesn't solve that problem anyway.

> Also, if there are no objections with going to 2 (let's give it
> a couple days), would you mind making the switch happen (or let
> us know how to do it).

Actually, #2 *is* the way it's set up ... it's just that the first
commit from a new committer goes to the taglibs-dev moderator,
husted@apache.org (where it must still be sitting, waiting to be
"allowed" through with no further moderations).

I'll take care of the latter part (so that Mark's subsequent commits)
flow through directly -- don't know at the moment how to moderate
through the old message, so I'll have to do some research on that.

> Thanks,
>
>    -- Pierre

Craig

Posted by Pierre Delisle <Pi...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Pierre Delisle <Pi...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I'd vote for "1" too. I just didn't realize the cvs list existed.

-Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: CVS commit messages? was (Re: Dual Taglibs...)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> Yes, I tested commit rights in taglibs and it works, thanks.
>>
>> On the Commons project, commit notices are forwarded to the developers
>> list, I find this very benificial there when tracking activity on our
>> little [math] sandbox project, are there any yay/nay's about doing
>> this on the taglibs project?
>

> For taglibs, cvs notifications are sent to jakarta-taglibs-cvs@apache.org.
> Personally, I prefer this as CVS notifications can generate a lot
> of uninteresting traffic.
>
> I however just checked the mailing lists page it says the following:
>
> The Taglibs Developer List
> Medium Traffic Subscribe Unsubscribe Guidelines Archive
>
> Developers of custom tag libraries gather here to discuss issues, plan
> code changes, and accept offers of new custom tag libraries to be
> contributed. Subscribers to this list will also get notices of every CVS
> checkin of new or changed code modules.
> I'd see the following two options:
>
> 1. Keep cvs notifications to jakarta-taglibs-cvs and update the mailing
> list page
>   with jakarta-taglibs-cvs
>
> 2. Move cvs notifications to taglibs-dev.
>
> My vote is for 1.
>
>    -- Pierre
>

>> -Mark
>>

>> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>>
>>> Based on the vote results, Mark now has karma on jakarta-taglibs and
>>> jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.

>>> Craig

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: CVS commit messages? was (Re: Dual Taglibs...)

Posted by Pierre Delisle <Pi...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Pierre Delisle <Pi...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Based on the vote results, Mark now has karma on jakarta-taglibs and
> jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.
>

>> -Mark
>

> Craig
>

>> Pierre Delisle wrote:
>>
>>> Another thing...
>>>
>>> Selecting proper URIs in the face of dual taglibs is a real pain. I'd
>>> advise against the naming used in JSTL 1.0,
>>> where <name> was the EL version and <name>_rt was the RT version.
>>>
>>> The EL version becomes deprecated under JSP 2.0, so you don't
>>> want it to use the URI you'd want to keep in the future.
>>>
>>> Since anyone using the EL version will have to switch URI to take
>>> advantage of the EL in JSP 2.0, it is therefore preferrable to have
>>> the EL version have the suffix in its URI, rather than on the RT
>>> version.
>>>
>>>    -- Pierre

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

CVS commit messages? was (Re: Dual Taglibs...)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Based on the vote results, Mark now has karma on jakarta-taglibs and
> jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.
>

>> -Mark
>

> Craig
>

>> Pierre Delisle wrote:
>>
>>> Another thing...
>>>
>>> Selecting proper URIs in the face of dual taglibs is a real pain. I'd
>>> advise against the naming used in JSTL 1.0,
>>> where <name> was the EL version and <name>_rt was the RT version.
>>>
>>> The EL version becomes deprecated under JSP 2.0, so you don't
>>> want it to use the URI you'd want to keep in the future.
>>>
>>> Since anyone using the EL version will have to switch URI to take
>>> advantage of the EL in JSP 2.0, it is therefore preferrable to have
>>> the EL version have the suffix in its URI, rather than on the RT
>>> version.
>>>
>>>    -- Pierre

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Dual Taglibs...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Great, this is all really good to know.
>
> It makes sense to try to get as much traction as possible right now,
> (we're actually struggling to get over Tomcat5.0 due to some RPM
> related issues external to Tomcat). So we do need a Servlet 2.3 el
> impl if we want to take advantage of jndi tags with el in our products.
>
> Its not difficult to reorganize to support el internally in an
> alternative implementation for Servlet 2.3 applications. The two
> implementations would share the same common support for now (like in
> the standard packages), as JSTL evolves, then JNDI can parallel its
> design.
>
> It does make logical senese (as you've said below) to make the el
> taglib the alternative jndi_el as opposed making rt the alternative
> (jndi_rt). I will do this too.

Based on the vote results, Mark now has karma on jakarta-taglibs and
jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.

> -Mark

Craig

Re: Dual Taglibs...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Great, this is all really good to know.
>
> It makes sense to try to get as much traction as possible right now,
> (we're actually struggling to get over Tomcat5.0 due to some RPM
> related issues external to Tomcat). So we do need a Servlet 2.3 el
> impl if we want to take advantage of jndi tags with el in our products.
>
> Its not difficult to reorganize to support el internally in an
> alternative implementation for Servlet 2.3 applications. The two
> implementations would share the same common support for now (like in
> the standard packages), as JSTL evolves, then JNDI can parallel its
> design.
>
> It does make logical senese (as you've said below) to make the el
> taglib the alternative jndi_el as opposed making rt the alternative
> (jndi_rt). I will do this too.

Based on the vote results, Mark now has karma on jakarta-taglibs and
jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.

> -Mark

Craig

Re: Dual Taglibs...

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Another thing...
>
> Selecting proper URIs in the face of dual taglibs is a real pain. I'd
> advise against the naming used in JSTL 1.0,
> where <name> was the EL version and <name>_rt was the RT version.
>
> The EL version becomes deprecated under JSP 2.0, so you don't
> want it to use the URI you'd want to keep in the future.
>
> Since anyone using the EL version will have to switch URI to take
> advantage of the EL in JSP 2.0, it is therefore preferrable to have the
> EL version have the suffix in its URI, rather than on the RT version.
>
>    -- Pierre
>
> Pierre Delisle wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> The JSTL 1.1 spec says the following in the Compatibility section:
>>
>> The JSTL 1.0 URIs are deprecated as of JSTL 1.1. If used, they should
>> normally
>> appear in a web application that has a servlet 2.3 deployment
>> descriptor to disable
>> the JSP 2.0 EL machinery. If used with a servlet 2.4 deployment
>> descriptor, the JSP
>> 2.0 EL machinery must be explicitely disabled for the pages where the
>> JSTL 1.0 tag
>> libraries are used. Consult the JSP specification for details.
>>
>> The intent of the expert group is to base any new development on the
>> JSP 2.0 spec. So dual taglibraries were only a temporary fix when JSTL
>> 1.0 first came out.
>>
>> J2EE 1.4 is just around the corner, but it takes some time for vendors
>> to push their new releases and for people to adopt them.
>> If you don't mind going through the extra pain, you'll definitely have
>> more traction if you go with dual libraries.
>> But dual tag libraries will definitely be things of the past when J2EE
>> 1.4 is widely adopted.
>>
>>    -- Pierre
>>
>> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>
>>> I think I should try to clarify this question further. I understand
>>> that EL support is native with JSP 2.0, and that JSTL 1.1 is designed
>>> to be backward compatable with 1.0. My question has more to do with
>>> the future direction of the JSTL dual libraries after 1.1 and into
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> Mostly, I could model the design of the JNDI taglibrary on those of
>>> the current SQL taglibrary. In which case there would be two JNDI
>>> libraries, one RT and the other EL (both sharing a common support
>>> library). However, at this point, with the advent of EL support as
>>> part of JSP 2.0, is there really a need to support the EL evaluation
>>> internally within the taglibrary itself? In which case the library
>>> would really be much more like the SQL RT taglibrary and EL would be
>>> available on JSP 2.0 while JSP 1.2 containers would rely on RT.
>>>
>>> Is there an intention to maintain these dual implementations into the
>>> future of JSTL? If so, then I would model on this, otherwise, I would
>>> attempt to choose the design that JSTL was planning to move towards
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> -Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Dual Taglibs...

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Another thing...
>
> Selecting proper URIs in the face of dual taglibs is a real pain. I'd
> advise against the naming used in JSTL 1.0,
> where <name> was the EL version and <name>_rt was the RT version.
>
> The EL version becomes deprecated under JSP 2.0, so you don't
> want it to use the URI you'd want to keep in the future.
>
> Since anyone using the EL version will have to switch URI to take
> advantage of the EL in JSP 2.0, it is therefore preferrable to have the
> EL version have the suffix in its URI, rather than on the RT version.
>
>    -- Pierre
>
> Pierre Delisle wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> The JSTL 1.1 spec says the following in the Compatibility section:
>>
>> The JSTL 1.0 URIs are deprecated as of JSTL 1.1. If used, they should
>> normally
>> appear in a web application that has a servlet 2.3 deployment
>> descriptor to disable
>> the JSP 2.0 EL machinery. If used with a servlet 2.4 deployment
>> descriptor, the JSP
>> 2.0 EL machinery must be explicitely disabled for the pages where the
>> JSTL 1.0 tag
>> libraries are used. Consult the JSP specification for details.
>>
>> The intent of the expert group is to base any new development on the
>> JSP 2.0 spec. So dual taglibraries were only a temporary fix when JSTL
>> 1.0 first came out.
>>
>> J2EE 1.4 is just around the corner, but it takes some time for vendors
>> to push their new releases and for people to adopt them.
>> If you don't mind going through the extra pain, you'll definitely have
>> more traction if you go with dual libraries.
>> But dual tag libraries will definitely be things of the past when J2EE
>> 1.4 is widely adopted.
>>
>>    -- Pierre
>>
>> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>
>>> I think I should try to clarify this question further. I understand
>>> that EL support is native with JSP 2.0, and that JSTL 1.1 is designed
>>> to be backward compatable with 1.0. My question has more to do with
>>> the future direction of the JSTL dual libraries after 1.1 and into
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> Mostly, I could model the design of the JNDI taglibrary on those of
>>> the current SQL taglibrary. In which case there would be two JNDI
>>> libraries, one RT and the other EL (both sharing a common support
>>> library). However, at this point, with the advent of EL support as
>>> part of JSP 2.0, is there really a need to support the EL evaluation
>>> internally within the taglibrary itself? In which case the library
>>> would really be much more like the SQL RT taglibrary and EL would be
>>> available on JSP 2.0 while JSP 1.2 containers would rely on RT.
>>>
>>> Is there an intention to maintain these dual implementations into the
>>> future of JSTL? If so, then I would model on this, otherwise, I would
>>> attempt to choose the design that JSTL was planning to move towards
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> -Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Dual Taglibs...

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Another thing...
>
> Selecting proper URIs in the face of dual taglibs is a real pain. I'd
> advise against the naming used in JSTL 1.0,
> where <name> was the EL version and <name>_rt was the RT version.
>
> The EL version becomes deprecated under JSP 2.0, so you don't
> want it to use the URI you'd want to keep in the future.
>
> Since anyone using the EL version will have to switch URI to take
> advantage of the EL in JSP 2.0, it is therefore preferrable to have the
> EL version have the suffix in its URI, rather than on the RT version.
>
>    -- Pierre
>
> Pierre Delisle wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> The JSTL 1.1 spec says the following in the Compatibility section:
>>
>> The JSTL 1.0 URIs are deprecated as of JSTL 1.1. If used, they should
>> normally
>> appear in a web application that has a servlet 2.3 deployment
>> descriptor to disable
>> the JSP 2.0 EL machinery. If used with a servlet 2.4 deployment
>> descriptor, the JSP
>> 2.0 EL machinery must be explicitely disabled for the pages where the
>> JSTL 1.0 tag
>> libraries are used. Consult the JSP specification for details.
>>
>> The intent of the expert group is to base any new development on the
>> JSP 2.0 spec. So dual taglibraries were only a temporary fix when JSTL
>> 1.0 first came out.
>>
>> J2EE 1.4 is just around the corner, but it takes some time for vendors
>> to push their new releases and for people to adopt them.
>> If you don't mind going through the extra pain, you'll definitely have
>> more traction if you go with dual libraries.
>> But dual tag libraries will definitely be things of the past when J2EE
>> 1.4 is widely adopted.
>>
>>    -- Pierre
>>
>> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>
>>> I think I should try to clarify this question further. I understand
>>> that EL support is native with JSP 2.0, and that JSTL 1.1 is designed
>>> to be backward compatable with 1.0. My question has more to do with
>>> the future direction of the JSTL dual libraries after 1.1 and into
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> Mostly, I could model the design of the JNDI taglibrary on those of
>>> the current SQL taglibrary. In which case there would be two JNDI
>>> libraries, one RT and the other EL (both sharing a common support
>>> library). However, at this point, with the advent of EL support as
>>> part of JSP 2.0, is there really a need to support the EL evaluation
>>> internally within the taglibrary itself? In which case the library
>>> would really be much more like the SQL RT taglibrary and EL would be
>>> available on JSP 2.0 while JSP 1.2 containers would rely on RT.
>>>
>>> Is there an intention to maintain these dual implementations into the
>>> future of JSTL? If so, then I would model on this, otherwise, I would
>>> attempt to choose the design that JSTL was planning to move towards
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> -Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Dual Taglibs...

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Another thing...
>
> Selecting proper URIs in the face of dual taglibs is a real pain. I'd
> advise against the naming used in JSTL 1.0,
> where <name> was the EL version and <name>_rt was the RT version.
>
> The EL version becomes deprecated under JSP 2.0, so you don't
> want it to use the URI you'd want to keep in the future.
>
> Since anyone using the EL version will have to switch URI to take
> advantage of the EL in JSP 2.0, it is therefore preferrable to have the
> EL version have the suffix in its URI, rather than on the RT version.
>
>    -- Pierre
>
> Pierre Delisle wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> The JSTL 1.1 spec says the following in the Compatibility section:
>>
>> The JSTL 1.0 URIs are deprecated as of JSTL 1.1. If used, they should
>> normally
>> appear in a web application that has a servlet 2.3 deployment
>> descriptor to disable
>> the JSP 2.0 EL machinery. If used with a servlet 2.4 deployment
>> descriptor, the JSP
>> 2.0 EL machinery must be explicitely disabled for the pages where the
>> JSTL 1.0 tag
>> libraries are used. Consult the JSP specification for details.
>>
>> The intent of the expert group is to base any new development on the
>> JSP 2.0 spec. So dual taglibraries were only a temporary fix when JSTL
>> 1.0 first came out.
>>
>> J2EE 1.4 is just around the corner, but it takes some time for vendors
>> to push their new releases and for people to adopt them.
>> If you don't mind going through the extra pain, you'll definitely have
>> more traction if you go with dual libraries.
>> But dual tag libraries will definitely be things of the past when J2EE
>> 1.4 is widely adopted.
>>
>>    -- Pierre
>>
>> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>
>>> I think I should try to clarify this question further. I understand
>>> that EL support is native with JSP 2.0, and that JSTL 1.1 is designed
>>> to be backward compatable with 1.0. My question has more to do with
>>> the future direction of the JSTL dual libraries after 1.1 and into
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> Mostly, I could model the design of the JNDI taglibrary on those of
>>> the current SQL taglibrary. In which case there would be two JNDI
>>> libraries, one RT and the other EL (both sharing a common support
>>> library). However, at this point, with the advent of EL support as
>>> part of JSP 2.0, is there really a need to support the EL evaluation
>>> internally within the taglibrary itself? In which case the library
>>> would really be much more like the SQL RT taglibrary and EL would be
>>> available on JSP 2.0 while JSP 1.2 containers would rely on RT.
>>>
>>> Is there an intention to maintain these dual implementations into the
>>> future of JSTL? If so, then I would model on this, otherwise, I would
>>> attempt to choose the design that JSTL was planning to move towards
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> -Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer