Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Keith Hankin <ke...@addr.com> on 2004/06/05 12:47:07 UTC

Using EL

I have a very simple JSP page that attempts to output the value of a
variable using EL "${var}" notation. However, it is just printing the
"${var}" literally. I am using Tomcat 5.0.19, and according to the JSP spec,
since this supports 2.4 servlet spec, it should support EL by default.
Anyhow, I tried adding:
                <% page isELIgnored="false" %>
to the beginning of the page, but then I get the following error:

       According to TLD or attribute directive in tag file, attribute value
does not accept expressions.

However, I do not have any TLD or tag file for this JSP file.

EL not processed by default with Tomcat 5.0.19

Posted by Keith Hankin <ke...@addr.com>.
Here's my page:

<% pageContext.getRequest().setAttribute("name", "hello world"); %>
Name: ${name}

This prints "Name: ${name}". According to the JSP spec, with Servlet
containers supporting 2.4, EL should be processed by default, but it isn't
being done. So I added the following to my web.xml:

    <jsp-config>
        <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
        <el-ignored>false</el-ignored>
   </jsp-config>

This seems to be ignored, as I am still getting the same incorrect output.
Only if I add the following at the top of each page, does it work: <%@ page
isELIgnored="false" %>

Is there any way I can get this to work without having to have this
declaration at the top of every page?

Re: Using EL

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@boxstuff.com>.
I still use the 2.3 spec for my web.xml but i think you need something
like this to activate it

<jsp-config>
	 <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
	<el-ignored>false</el-ignored>
</jsp-config>

The dtd should be able to show you where it should go (i.e in what
order).

Re: Using EL

Posted by Keith Hankin <ke...@addr.com>.

Re: Using EL