Posted to users@flex.apache.org by storo84 <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/21 23:26:04 UTC

Workaround to solve faulty verbose-stacktraces=true compiler parameter

Hello,

When setting the *verbose-stacktraces* to *true* without setting the debug
*parameter* to *false*, it has no effect. I know this bug has been solved in
later releases as stated in issue  FLEX-25716
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-25716>   but I'm currently using
Flex 4.6 and can't use a later version. I would like to know if there is a
workaround to this issue.

Every bit of help is appreciated.

Re: Workaround to solve faulty verbose-stacktraces=true compiler parameter

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
I don't think the Adobe 4.6 compiler was open sourced so we've know way
to know what they changed.

Tom

Posted by storo84 <se...@gmail.com>.
By the way, the compiler options of my project are the following: -locale
en_US -swf-version=23 -verbose-stacktraces=true

Re: Workaround to solve faulty verbose-stacktraces=true compiler parameter

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Here's one I read:
http://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/stack-traces-in-release-build

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
> Frédéric, did you try your example using a release version of the
> application in Web/AIR/Mobile or just using an emulator?

On my computer for web/air apps samples based on your code example and on the simulator and device for the mobile one, and yes, I tested with the release version as well, I installed manually the apk on my phone.

> The problem is in the release
> version. Next you'll find a screenshot showing the stacktrace that the
> release version of the app stored in the mobile device:
>
> <http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/file/n7723/Screenshot_2014-08-22-20-19-24.png>

Please remind me where to get the stack trace on android as it doesn't shows up the error dialog for me

Frédéric THOMAS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
IMO, that doesn't explicitly say that verbose-stacktraces will work in a
release swf.

I saw at one other thread on other forums where the conclusion was that it
doesn't work.

-Alex

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
I tried you code with web/air/emulator/device with debug true and false, the result was the same for each configuration showing the line number which cause the error, except for the mobile version (and had to change the SDK to 4.12 / AIR 4.0) on my device, a Galaxy S4 where not even an error dialog shown up, so, except with the test direct on the device, it worked as expected and wasn't able to reproduce what you are seeing.

Frédéric THOMAS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
AIUI, for mobile apps, there are 3 kinds of output:

1) Debug SWF that runs in the Emulator
2) Release SWF (that might be possible to run in the Emulator)
3) Platform Package (The release SWF is transformed into platform code).

Your post shows that 1 works, 3 doesn't, but we don't know about 2.  I
think Fred tried 2 (possibly with a non-mobile app) and found that it
works.  I'm not up to speed enough on mobile to know if 3 was ever
supposed to work, but the Flex compiler is not involved in going from 2 to
3.  The AIR SDK takes care of that.

To try 2, I think you can use the command line and run adl with a
command-line referencing the SWF (actually -app.xml) which I think is in
bin-release.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Is it not giving you line numbers on the device or when testing in the
emulator?

If you try some simple non-mobile test, does it work?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Are you building a Flex app or an AS-only app?  Some AIR 4 SDKs may cause
AS-only apps to be compiled with a different compiler.

Posted by storo84 <se...@gmail.com>.
I don't know why I'm not able to see the line numbers. I already updated the
Flex SDK to the last version (4.13) using the Apach SDK Installer and added
it to Flash Builder. Next I added the compiler flags: *-locale en_US
-swf-version=25 -verbose-stacktraces=true -debug=false*, and still nothing
happened.

I think it might be useful to add that I'm using *UncaughtErrorEvent*. I'm
storing the stacktraces obtained from *event.error.getStackTrace()* on a
local file and remotely on a server. Still, after everything I can only see
the stacktraces without the line numbers.

Do you have any idea where could be the problem?

RE: Workaround to solve faulty verbose-stacktraces=true compiler parameter

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
I meant: The result was the same then -debug=true, so, I can see the line numbers

Frédéric THOMAS

From: webdoublefx@hotmail.com
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: RE: Workaround to solve faulty verbose-stacktraces=true compiler parameter
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:13:17 +0100

I tried using the SDK 4.6 provided with FB, on a web application, not mobile:
-verbose-stacktraces=true -debug=false

The result was the same then -debug=false, so, I can see the line numbers

Frédéric THOMAS

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

The link you're pointing out seems to be an imported Adobe Jira and I can read

                Fix Version/s:

                                                            Adobe Flex SDK 4.5 (Release)

And after a test on SDK 4.6, it worked as expected for me.

Frédéric THOMAS

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
That's *Adobe* Flex 4.6, right ?

:-)