Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Raymond Ingles <ri...@vmware.com> on 2021/03/12 19:53:27 UTC

[Proposal] Backport GEODE-9022 to Apache Geode 1.14

Hello –

 Putting forward the proposal to backport GEODE-9022 (Redis INFO command support) to support/1.14 branch,

        What does GEODE-9022 do?

          *   It adds unit/integration/dunit tests for the Redis INFO command
          *   It moves the INFO command to the ‘Supported’ category

       These changes are low-risk as they are limited entirely to the Geode’s Redis-compatibility subsystem and do not impact any other Geode code.

        Why do we need to backport these changes?

          *   These changes will allow automated tools that monitor Redis health (e.g. DataDog) to also monitor the health of the Geode compatibility-with-Redis subsystem.
          *   If we don't backport these changes to 1.14.0 then use of Redis compatibility will be impaired or unacceptable for several users

        Reference PR: https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/6121

                Thanks,
                Ray Ingles

Re: [Proposal] Backport GEODE-9022 to Apache Geode 1.14

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Sounds like this is worth tracking as a blocker, thanks for making a clear and compelling case.

On 3/12/21, 12:08 PM, "Raymond Ingles" <ri...@vmware.com> wrote:

    Hello –

     Putting forward the proposal to backport GEODE-9022 (Redis INFO command support) to support/1.14 branch,

            What does GEODE-9022 do?

              *   It adds unit/integration/dunit tests for the Redis INFO command
              *   It moves the INFO command to the ‘Supported’ category

           These changes are low-risk as they are limited entirely to the Geode’s Redis-compatibility subsystem and do not impact any other Geode code.

            Why do we need to backport these changes?

              *   These changes will allow automated tools that monitor Redis health (e.g. DataDog) to also monitor the health of the Geode compatibility-with-Redis subsystem.
              *   If we don't backport these changes to 1.14.0 then use of Redis compatibility will be impaired or unacceptable for several users

            Reference PR: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F6121&amp;data=04%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7Cf4fbb99f4b894fa6659e08d8e5929b5d%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C1%7C0%7C637511765134682431%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=y0JGLV7b0DKNDbNkbIVT7gVPjDexVxKfIuFOvoJO7w4%3D&amp;reserved=0

                    Thanks,
                    Ray Ingles