Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Randall Fox <RL...@helzberg.com> on 2007/03/06 21:39:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache on Windows

Hello, I am wondering if any of you use Apache on Windows, and if so
what your experience has been like so far.

Thanks, RL. Fox.

Internet E-mail Disclaimer
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this E-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by E-mail if you have received this E-mail by mistake and delete this E-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The recipient should check this E-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The sender and Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of E-mail transmission. Views of this E-mail and of Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. employees do not necessarily reflect the views of Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.
Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. - 1825 Swift Ave. - N. Kansas City, MO - USA - www.helzberg.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Windows

Posted by Vince Bravdica <vp...@vwebr.net>.
matt farey wrote:
> Vince Bravdica wrote:
>
>> Randall Fox wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I am wondering if any of you use Apache on Windows, and if so
>>> what your experience has been like so far.
>>>

>>> Thanks, RL. Fox.
>>>

>>> *_Internet E-mail Disclaimer_ *
>>> This message contains confidential information and is intended only
>>> for the individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee you
>>> should not disseminate, distribute or copy this E-mail. Please notify
>>> the sender immediately by E-mail if you have received this E-mail by
>>> mistake and delete this E-mail from your system. E-mail transmission
>>> cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could
>>> be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or
>>> incomplete, or contain viruses. The recipient should check this
>>> E-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The sender
>>> and Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. therefore does not accept liability
>>> for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which
>>> arise as a result of E-mail transmission. Views of this E-mail and of
>>> Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. employees do not necessarily reflect the
>>> views of Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. If verification is required
>>> please request a hard-copy version.
>>>
>>> Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. - 1825 Swift Ave. - N. Kansas City, MO -
>>> USA - _www.helzberg.com_

>> The only issue I experience is that I cannot get MySQL to run on it.
>> PHP works great, and it makes fro a fantastic developmental piece of
>> hardware. Just wish I could get MySql to run with Apache/PHP.
>>

> I should say then that MySql does indeed run on windows xp and it's been
> doing so here for 5 years without a hitch, it has millions of postcodes
> and hundreds of databases inside, and Ive been upgrading for years
> without any trouble.
> Bascially XP (PRO) is a fine and stable way to run a simple WAMP setup,
> there are no issues worth mentioning, but of course if you want extra
> tweakability hardness and reliability go for linux!

I must have some sort of installation issues that I cannot get answers
to at PHP or MySQL lists, because I only get the same thing there as you
say here..."it works fine here". Oh well, I have no issues with the
linux boxes, just the XP Pro one.

--
Vince Bravdica
President

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Windows

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.

Vince Bravdica wrote:
> Randall Fox wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I am wondering if any of you use Apache on Windows, and if so
>> what your experience has been like so far.
>>

>> Thanks, RL. Fox.
>>

>> *_Internet E-mail Disclaimer_ *
>> This message contains confidential information and is intended only
>> for the individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee you
>> should not disseminate, distribute or copy this E-mail. Please notify
>> the sender immediately by E-mail if you have received this E-mail by
>> mistake and delete this E-mail from your system. E-mail transmission
>> cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could
>> be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or
>> incomplete, or contain viruses. The recipient should check this
>> E-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The sender
>> and Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. therefore does not accept liability
>> for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which
>> arise as a result of E-mail transmission. Views of this E-mail and of
>> Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. employees do not necessarily reflect the
>> views of Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. If verification is required
>> please request a hard-copy version.
>>
>> Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. - 1825 Swift Ave. - N. Kansas City, MO -
>> USA - _www.helzberg.com_

> The only issue I experience is that I cannot get MySQL to run on it.
> PHP works great, and it makes fro a fantastic developmental piece of
> hardware. Just wish I could get MySql to run with Apache/PHP.

I should say then that MySql does indeed run on windows xp and it's been
doing so here for 5 years without a hitch, it has millions of postcodes
and hundreds of databases inside, and Ive been upgrading for years
without any trouble.
Bascially XP (PRO) is a fine and stable way to run a simple WAMP setup,
there are no issues worth mentioning, but of course if you want extra
tweakability hardness and reliability go for linux!

--
Matthew Farey

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Windows

Posted by Vince Bravdica <vp...@vwebr.net>.

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.
truly wonderful, those apache guys and gals are great.

latest apache with mod_security2 with php, perl, python (...) modules on win pro

hundreds of thousands of requests per day, complex apps, hundreds of vhosts,

no issues whatsoever, uptime is great, (no abnormal crashes ever)
(which I think is good for a 9 year old PC)

all on 700MHz off the shelf with 512 RAM

The only thing is, keep it secure, and pay attention to it every day.

--
Matthew Farey

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Windows

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.

On 06/03/07, Randall Fox <RL...@helzberg.com> wrote:

>   Hello, I am wondering if any of you use Apache on Windows, and if so
> what your experience has been like so far.
>

> Thanks, RL. Fox.
>
> *Internet E-mail Disclaimer *
> **This message contains confidential information and is intended only for
> the individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
> disseminate, distribute or copy this E-mail. Please notify the sender
> immediately by E-mail if you have received this E-mail by mistake and delete
> this E-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
> secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
> destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The recipient
> should check this E-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
> The sender and Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. therefore does not accept
> liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which
> arise as a result of E-mail transmission. Views of this E-mail and of
> Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. employees do not necessarily reflect the views
> of Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. If verification is required please request a
> hard-copy version.
>
> Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc. - 1825 Swift Ave. - N. Kansas City, MO - USA
> - *www.helzberg.com*

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Windows

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.

Nathan Kellogg wrote:

> Does this mean that an XP box  running Apache would be limited to 10
> concurrent web browser users?  My impression of this was that the
> connection limit only applied to the Windows Network connections and
> not to http/https/etc...
if you don't patch the tcp stack, service pack 2, "sort of". HTTP/1.1
provides for pipelining requests via keepalives, so this is the
2concurrent requests per domain - and this is how the whole web works, -
unless you use many sub domains (3rd level domains) in your (x)html
markup, its not an issue for the individual.
However hitting the limit would be similar to a DoS but in web terms
this never really arises unless you are serving large files, because the
connection is over quickly, chances are anyone using XP is at home on
ADSL so the bandwidth issue crops up before the concurrent connection
limit anyhooo.

When you consider that this connection limit was introduced to help stop
worms proliferating, and that this is an exponential growth anyway, it
seems obvious that its fine to patch it back to more than 10!

>> In fact it is metered by NTLM authentication, if you loaded
>> mod_auth_sspi
>> or configured IIS for auth, you will observe this to be enforced.  Ten
>> authenticated clients is a hard limit.

Matthew Farey

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Windows

Posted by Nathan Kellogg <ap...@nwlocation.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Arthur Kreitman wrote:
> One caution for Apache on XP.   The licensing for XP limits you to 10
> simultaneous incoming tcp connections.

Of course that's the word of the license.  Obviously 'what's a connection'
is always interesting, you end up with far more than 10 connections using
email/web/chat all at the same time, browsers will create two parallel
connections at once (pipelining images/scripts/css as they are referenced
by the main document), ftp is actually two sockets (data and control), etc...
the spirit of the document implies 10 users.

Posted by Arthur Kreitman <ar...@congruent.com>.

Posted by Paul Simon <ge...@yahoo.com>.