Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Lists <li...@psycholutions.com> on 2012/12/17 16:17:44 UTC

Question about Flex future and performance

Hi everyone,

I' m writing data driven Server connected mobile apps with Flash Builder for
PHP in Flex, AS3 and PHP.
A field which is currently more or less underrated and canceled by Adobe
(see announcements and update behavior for Flash Builder).
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/930792

Thre are a couple of performance boost- options out there (gpu rendering).
But only for AS3, Starling, game development.
I found no tutorials how to develop data driven apps (incl. remoting) with
Starling/Feathers/AS3 instead of Flex.
This is very disapointing since this could be a real milestone for serious
mobile apps (not only for gaming).

Are there any options for Flex-development reaching better performance/
better frame rates?

I mean see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_m3XhOkjgo

Why the hell is Adobe talking about 60 fps for game development only, while
other/better solutions were there?
OpenPlug is dead, but are there any survived techniques for
Flex-app-renderings?

c u stevie

Re: Question about Flex future and performance

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
one of the subsjects discussed was to make Flex able to render on
stage3D threw starling framework.
It should give a boost on rendering performances.

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Lists <li...@psycholutions.com> wrote:

> Thre are a couple of performance boost- options out there (gpu rendering).
> But only for AS3, Starling, game development.
> I found no tutorials how to develop data driven apps (incl. remoting) with
> Starling/Feathers/AS3 instead of Flex.
> This is very disapointing since this could be a real milestone for serious
> mobile apps (not only for gaming).

CU,

I can tell you that recently I made a project for a client that was running
on FeathersUI with full remoting capabilities. As you can guess - yes, the
application ran incredibly fast and was a very smooth production. We were
originally going to use Flex but due to the sheer quantity of display
objects that we were intending to show on the screen at one time Feathers
and Starling was the better bet.

I won't worry about going too much with the positives and negatives but I
can tell you that I did just a few bits of housekeeping and was able to use
FeathersUI the same way I use Flex plus all of the remoting.

1. get feathers, starling, robotlegs (omar's starling offshoot), and a few
swcs from the Flex framework (for remoting)
2. put them all together
3. do a little manipulation on robotlegs to properly support the events for
mapping onRegister/onRemove. This way I can use the FeathersUI "ViewStack"
component.
4. continue business as usual building the application. Yes, styling isn't
nearly as easy but it is possible.

HTH

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Question about Flex future and performance

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
Regarding remoting, all of that is handled by the Flash Player; Flex just
had a wrapper around it. I'm not aware of any Flex-specific remote
interface APIs. This means you can do data driven, remote, apps in
Starling. I can't speak for the GPU rendering/performance issues except to
say Flex does have some access to Stage3D items via StageText and
StageVideo, but they are a little awkward to use from Flex.

Peter Ent
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems