Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthew Kerle <ma...@sra.com.au> on 2007/08/15 07:12:58 UTC

tomcat performance on static content over SSL/non-SSL

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Matthew Kerle [mailto:matthew.kerle@sra.com.au]
>> Subject: Re: Removing the port identifier
>>
> Actually, that's not really true anymore.  The current Tomcat without
> APR is almost as fast as httpd for delivering non-SSL static content,
> and with APR it's pretty much the same for both non-SSL and SSL traffic
> (since it's the same code).  There are reasons to use httpd in front of
> Tomcat, but delivering static content isn't one of them.

really? that's pretty cool, I didn't know that. do you have any metrics?

Apart from integration into a larger site or static content, when would
you put httpd in front of tomcat?

matt.
<http://threebrightlights.blogspot.com/>

Re: tomcat performance on static content over SSL/non-SSL

Posted by Matthew Kerle <ma...@sra.com.au>.
doh! load-balancing of course...

I don't know, I'm a stickler for the old "do one thing, do it well",
tomcat rocks at serving dynamic java, apache rocks at being internet
facing serving static & CGI. the jk connector is good & solid, so I'm
happy to keep everything separate and only have tomcat serving dynamic
pages. plus that way if you ever run into scalability problems you have
the infrastructure to scale right there!

* Matthew Kerle
* * IT Consultant *
* Canberra, Australia*

Mobile: +61404 096 863