Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gergely Zayzon <ge...@harras.be> on 2004/06/25 22:31:46 UTC

Session replication in tomcat5

All,

I'm wondering what it really means that the <Cluster/> element is nested
inside a <Host/> element?
Our servers are load balanced on network layer level, without any software
interaction, so actually all of the tomcat instances are running separately
without using the built-in load balancing. But since the web servers are
using virtual hosting I need to place several <Host/> elements into the
server.xml to let all the individual sites have their own environment.
In a scenario like this how I can do the session replication? If I place it
in one of the <Host/> elements then sessions only for that host will be
replicated? How I need to configure the tomcat instances to have all the
sessions for all of the (virtual) hosts replicated?

Can anyone shed light on this please?

Thanks,
gergoe

Re: Session replication in tomcat5

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev <de...@hanik.com>.
yes, especially mcast address, that essentially is what defines a group of members

Filip

Posted by Gergely Zayzon <ge...@harras.be>.
Thanks, it sounds promising (just need to survive 'till that time ;-)

Anyway, is there anything I need to know or be aware of when I configure
many clusters between two tomcats? Should the (mcast and the tcp) ports be
different for each of them?

Thanks,
Gergely Zayzon
Network Administrator