Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Chris Newland <cn...@nortelnetworks.com> on 2000/06/13 14:53:41 UTC

How to set tag attributes using appendChild

Hi All,

I'm trying to generate XML dynamically using the DOM interface but I'm
having trouble creating attributes and attaching them to the tags I'm
creating.

I'm trying to make a dynamic form 'select' structure but I can't seem to
attach a 'value' attribute to each option I create.
This is not a problem for HTML (IE5) since it takes the name as the value if
no value is specified:

<select name="fruit">
<option>Banana</option>
<option>Apple</option>
</select>

The problem I'm having is when trying to apply a WML stylesheet since my WAP
device (the Nokia simulator) expects

<select name="fruit">
<option value="Banana">Banana</option>
<option value="Apple">Apple</option>
</select>

I'm trying to attach the attribute 'value' to the 'option' tag like this:

Element new_option = document.createElement("option"); // create the option

new_option.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Banana")); // set the value

Element new_value = document.createElement("value"); // create the value

new_value.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Banana")); // set the value

new_option.appendChild(new_value); // append the value to the option

// finally append the option to the select

my WML XSL code looks like this:

<select name="fruit">
	<xsl:for-each select="option">
		<option><xsl:apply-templates/></option>
	</xsl:for-each>
</select>

but the generated WML comes out as:

<select name="fruit">
	<option>BananaBanana</option>
	<option>AppleApple</option>
</select>

I've played around with this for ages now but I can't work out what I'm
doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris