Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by gbattinelli <gi...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/29 13:47:26 UTC

too size for derby db

Dear all,
I'm newbie of derby but there is something not clear for me.
I use derby database through Netbeans.

I've an application in java that can use two dbs, mysql and derby, both
through hibernate.
For correct working of application some default data must be in the db.
Adding defautl content to db I noted:
-db mysql, once esported, is 620Kb
-folder of derby db is 12MB!

Could you please explain this difference?
There are soo few data that 12MB seems to excessive...could you please let
me know?

Thanks

Re: too size for derby db

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
>> I'm newbie of derby but there is something not clear for me.
>>
>> There are soo few data that 12MB seems to excessive...could you please let me know?

SYSCS_DIAG.SPACE_TABLE can help you figure out where your space goes:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/ref/rrefsyscsdiagtables.html

thanks,

bryan

Re: too size for derby db

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 9/29/11 4:47 AM, gbattinelli wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm newbie of derby but there is something not clear for me.
> I use derby database through Netbeans.
>
> I've an application in java that can use two dbs, mysql and derby, both
> through hibernate.
> For correct working of application some default data must be in the db.
> Adding defautl content to db I noted:
> -db mysql, once esported, is 620Kb
> -folder of derby db is 12MB!
>
> Could you please explain this difference?
> There are soo few data that 12MB seems to excessive...could you please let
> me know?
>
> Thanks
Hi Giuseppe,

That does sound excessive. I just created an empty Derby database (no
user data, just the system tables). It weighs 1.8M. What are the weights
of the two subdirectories of your database (seg0 and log)?

Thanks,
-Rick