Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> on 2018/02/14 15:37:57 UTC

Re: Looking for recommendations how to best use Maven in a muti-stagePipeline build to only deploy at the end

I am not sure why Nexus does not Support staging repos, I thought this is one of its defining Features? Certainly the ASF is using Nexus this way.

Anyway, another solution is to use a Feature of the CI to run a whole Pipeline on a single executor and have this executor have a local maven repo instance (this is a good idea anyway). Then you can avoid to deploy at all (only install) until your last step.

In my cases it Comes up not so often as the last Pipeline steps to release a product depend on Long ago released artifact versions with their own lifecylce.

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 9:31 PM, Eric B <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bernd,
>
> Nexus 3.x does not support staging repos b/c they are rewriting the entire
> platform to support not just Maven artifacts, but any type of repo-based
> artifact.  Ex: docker images, npm dependencies, etc...

This is true and it's getting close to being done. Also included is a
pipeline plugin for Jenkins to help you effect the promotions
directly.

Re: Looking for recommendations how to best use Maven in a muti-stagePipeline build to only deploy at the end

Posted by Eric B <eb...@gmail.com>.
Bernd,

Nexus 3.x does not support staging repos b/c they are rewriting the entire
platform to support not just Maven artifacts, but any type of repo-based
artifact.  Ex: docker images, npm dependencies, etc...  But the new feature
won't be available until at least April or May.

With respect to running the whole Pipeline on a single executor with a
local maven repo was what I was thinking of doing.  But I still don't know
how to get it to deploy only at the last step without rebuilding again.  If
my last step just calls the deploy goal, then it will still rebuild the
entire artifact - not just grab whatever is in the local repo and deploy
it.  And I'm looking to avoid rebuilding the artifact since I want the
original artifact (the one sitting in the local m2 folder) to be the one
pushed to the repo.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric