Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> on 2019/04/25 10:20:43 UTC

[DISCUSSION] JIRA notifications and reaching contributors

Hi All,

Back in 2016 it was decided that notifications go to the separate mailing
list notifications@ofbiz.a.o. See [1]. And looking at latest numbers
reported regarding subscriptions to our mailing lists, we have:

   - user@: 926
   - dev@: 574
   - commits@: 218
   - notifications@: 78

The numbers regarding user@, dev@ and notifications@ are from 2018-06-20,
and the number regarding notifications@ is from 2018-03-20, see [2].

The numbers indicate that about 14% of our contributor potential subscribed
to the dev@ sees these notifications about bugs and improvements, and less
than 9%  of our greater community  (subscribed to user@) are reached. And
when we factor in the impact of PMC members and committers (I can only
guess how many of those have subscribed) on notifications@) the ratios are
even worse.

don't reach our potential and that we don't see the input of dev@ and user@
subscribers, leading to an overload of those working tickets.

Did we take a wrong turn back in 2016? And should we not revert the
resolution of the vote to have notifications go back to dev@ to get more
contributions (potentially leading to more - active - committers that share
and lessen the work load?

What do you think?

[1] [VOTE] Create a "notifications" mailing list
<https://ofbiz.markmail.org/message/6hlbap7a6cam3rm2?q=%22%5BVOTE%5D+Create+a+%22notifications%22+mailing+list+%22+list:org%2Eapache%2Eofbiz%2Edev+order:date-forward>

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

Re: [DISCUSSION] JIRA notifications and reaching contributors

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
I fully agree, Scott.

We should also not forget users using mailing list archives. It would be
a nightmare to follow dev@ discussions on ponymail with all these Jira
notifications.

I see no evidence that we attract more new contributors through Jira
notifications, I assume the contrary.

Regards,

Michael Brohl

ecomify GmbH - www.ecomify.de