Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/04/06 22:42:59 UTC

JUnit

Hi all,

We're considering eliminating junit.jar from SVN and requiring developers to have it on their classpath. Eclipse has JUnit built in, so this would only impact developers who are using Ant exclusively to build. JUnit would basically become a baseline requirement, like the JVM.

I haven't done much with JUnit, so I'm not sure what would be best. Does anyone have any recommended best practices? The Ant docs say this:

http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/junit.html

I kind of lean towards #1. What has worked best for you in the past?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: JUnit

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
> We're considering eliminating junit.jar from SVN and requiring developers to have it on their classpath. Eclipse has JUnit built in, so this would only impact developers who are using Ant exclusively to build. JUnit would basically become a baseline requirement, like the JVM.
OK, but different Eclipse versions should have different versions of
JUnit ... is this ok ?

For tests, should we use the old 3.8.x, or (much) better one of the
latest 4.x (using annotations, etc) ?

All contents under test directories would be stripped out from base
binary jars, and if needed put in dedicated jars, right ?

In my environments I prefer to point to standard dependency jars
externally (for example C:\java_lib), and when required set jars in
the classpath from there, from IDE and from build tools.

For Ant builds the path for JUnit jar could be a key in the
build.properties file, so anyone could modify it as required by its
environment.

And last, some tests are more visual than logic, and i don't think in
this case JUnit help too much ... some time ago I've seen other
Testing framework more UI centric, like FEST for Swing but not only (
http://code.google.com/p/fest/ , and
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/FEST/Home ).

Ok ok, for our needs maybe migrating to JUnit could be enough, but
it's important to see what others do ... for future directions.

What do you think ?

Bye

Re: JUnit

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
I quite like it when I can check out a project from SVN and just build
it without having to trawl the net for extra libraries and conduct
extra configuration steps.

So I would vote for including the jars in SVN and going with 4.
   4. Specify the locations of both JARs using a <classpath> element
in a <taskdef> in the build file.

Regards, Noel.