Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2023/01/31 23:51:48 UTC

New branch management process (starting with 10.0.0)

Hi all,

as discussed at the last summit, we’re proposing a change to branch management, to hopefully improve on both quality/stability as well as better release management. The big change is that we will no longer propose and cherry-pick PRs from master branch to the release branch. Rather, we will cut every major and minor branch straight off of the master branch! This has two big implications:

1. Master branch must always be backwards compatible with the previous major release. Any incompatible PRs must be made against the (new) 11-Dev branch, and you must label the PR as “Incompatible”. The milestone for these PRs must be 11.0.0 as of now.

2. You no longer have to mark PRs with Projects, *unless* they are going to a previous LTS release for a patch release. The default Milestone must always be the next minor release. We will take all changes wholesale going forward!

I’ve tried to document this at

    https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/release-notes/roadmap.en.html

The trickiest part here is the Milestone, but it’s really important that you mark all PRs correctly. When reviewing / merging someone elses PR, please make sure the Milestone is correct as well!

Cheers,

— leif

Re: New branch management process (starting with 10.0.0)

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
Here that should be

[| [ATS Release Roadmap — Apache Traffic Server 10.0.0
documentation](https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/release-
notes/roadmap.en.html)[trafficserver.apache.org](https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/release-
notes/roadmap.en.html)|
[](https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/release-