Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/12/24 11:07:09 UTC

Re: can i temporarily disable mail delivery from this list?

On Dec 22, 2003, at 12:33 PM, Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Other mailinglists have like a settings page, but on the cocoon
> website i could only find subscribe/unsubscribe. My mailbox is quite
> limited :(

Your only option is to unsubscribe. If you post as a non-subscriber
(because you're reading the list through Gmane or the like), your
message ends up in the moderation queue (i.e. Andrew and me), and we'll
moderate you through (and add your email address to a list of
'known-good' posters for future posts).

There's quite a few people apparently working in this mode, AFAIK.

Oh, also on the subject of mailing lists, here's some Christmas stats:

   users@cocoon.apache.org
     Subscribers:    1039
     Digest readers: 71

   dev@cocoon.apache.org
     Subscribers:    465
     Digest readers: 19

   cvs@cocoon.apache.org
     Subscribers:    116
     Digest readers: 1

   docs@cocoon.apache.org
     Subscribers:    115
     Digest readers: 1

   forrest-dev@xml.apache.org
     Subscribers:    232
     Digest readers: 3

   forrest-cvs@xml.apache.org
     Subscribers:    67

   lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org
     Subscribers:    110
     Digest readers: 1

   lenya-user@cocoon.apache.org
     Subscribers:    197
     Digest readers: 2

   lenya-cvs@cocoon.apache.org
     Subscribers:    26

HTH,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: can i temporarily disable mail delivery from this list?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On Dec 24, 2003, at 11:32 AM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Do these stats also include "allow-subscribed" people ?

I would have to check with Ken who provides the ezmlm stats service,
but I'm not convinced that it would add up to something meaningful -
since there's a fair number of "one-post-wonders" in the allow database
(i.e. from crossposting, or change of email addresses, etc). Gmane
messes up these stats anyhow, I'm afraid. Add distro mirroring into
this equation, and it becomes rather difficult to measure the effective
growth (or decline) of a project's popularity (especially its user
community, since developers tend to be more physically present on the
lists - writing mails). That's where Sourceforge beats ASF in terms of
gauging project activity (although the activity stats of SF don't
represent that much valuable info of course).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: can i temporarily disable mail delivery from this list?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: can i temporarily disable mail delivery from this list?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: can i temporarily disable mail delivery from this list?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: can i temporarily disable mail delivery from this list?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2003, at 12:33 PM, Jorg Heymans wrote:
>
>> Other mailinglists have like a settings page, but on the cocoon
>> website i could only find subscribe/unsubscribe. My mailbox is quite
>> limited :(
>

> Your only option is to unsubscribe. If you post as a non-subscriber
> (because you're reading the list through Gmane or the like), your
> message ends up in the moderation queue (i.e. Andrew and me), and
> we'll moderate you through (and add your email address to a list of
> 'known-good' posters for future posts).
>
> There's quite a few people apparently working in this mode, AFAIK.

I'm subscribed to many mailing-lists in "allow" mode, which means I can
freely post messages but do not receive them, as I read and post to
these lists through gmane.

To achieve this, use "[list-name]-allow-subscribe@..." instead of
"[list-name]-subscribe@...".

> Oh, also on the subject of mailing lists, here's some Christmas stats:

<snip/>

Do these stats also include "allow-subscribed" people ?

Sylvain

Re: can i temporarily disable mail delivery from this list?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.