Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> on 2006/12/06 04:15:41 UTC

I need help with multi-module project site generation.

So I have a multi-module project and I would like to generate a site
which includes javadoc and jxr. What am I supposed to do?

I would be extremelty grateful to anyone who can provide an example
which has a shot at working...

If I generate the default site according to the mergere book, I get
essentially a useless cover page with a navigation menu that lists the
modules, but without links

If in the parent pom.xml, I say:

  <reporting>
   <plugins>

    <plugin>
     <configuration>
      <aggregate>true</aggregate>
     </configuration>
    </plugin>

"mvn site" fails with an internal error, stumbling over a dependency
which seems to stem from the java code being javadoc'ed itself.

If I set it to false, I don't see any link or anything at all.

Is the intent to let maven generate some of the pages, and I need to add
the static pages linking them all together myself?

I cannot stress enough how frustrating it is the wade through the many
twisty XML hierarchies....
--
cg

Re: I need help with multi-module project site generation.

Posted by Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com>.
Wayne Fay wrote:

> Probably a silly question, but you added a dependency on javax.mail,
> right? And unless I'm mistaken, this is a Jar you have to download
> from Sun and add to your local repo manually.

I did all that, yes... Thanks :) After all, my project builds fine, it's
just the aggregating javadoc plugin that fails.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Probably a silly question, but you added a dependency on javax.mail,
right? And unless I'm mistaken, this is a Jar you have to download
from Sun and add to your local repo manually.

Wayne

Posted by Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com>.

Posted by Yann Albou <ya...@club-internet.fr>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> wrote:
>
>> If I generate the default site according to the mergere book, I get
>> essentially a useless cover page with a navigation menu that lists the
>> modules, but without links
>
> I've seen that happen too.  Most of my projects have a custom site.xml
> and aren't using ${modules} (?) though, so I've never tried to chase
> it down.  Can you reproduce it with a simple parent-and-two-children
> multi-module project?

In order to make it works you will nee to give a value to the url tag :
<url>http://yoururl</url> in  your pom parent.
(I don't know why but you cannot use relative url)
Yann

Re: I need help with multi-module project site generation.

Posted by Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On 12/5/06, Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> wrote:
>
>> If I generate the default site according to the mergere book, I get
>> essentially a useless cover page with a navigation menu that lists the
>> modules, but without links
>

> I've seen that happen too.  Most of my projects have a custom site.xml
> and aren't using ${modules} (?) though, so I've never tried to chase
> it down.  Can you reproduce it with a simple parent-and-two-children
> multi-module project?

I'll see what I can do, thanks for the pointers, and at least I feel
less alone now :)

>> "mvn site" fails with an internal error, stumbling over a dependency
>> which seems to stem from the java code being javadoc'ed itself.
>

> Are you using <dependencyManagement> ?  This sounds familiar, but I
> thought it was fixed.  First try 'mvn site -U' to make sure you've got
> the latest plugin versions, or (better) add a <version> element to set
> the version you want to use.

Yes, I do use <dependencyManagement>. I tried "mvn site -U" and it still
fails. So I can't use <dependencyManagement>? That would suck...

> Not sure what you mean here... 'mvn site' is only going to generate
> the pieces of a multi-module site under the various 'target'
> directories.  To see what the whole thing looks like you'll need to
> use either site:stage or site:deploy.
>
> The default index.html page will include the <description> from the
> pom, if you want more than that, add src/site/apt/index.apt with your
> content.

Yes, I am slowly discovering that the deploy part of the lifecycle is
essential, for other stuff too...

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/5/06, Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> wrote:

> If I generate the default site according to the mergere book, I get
> essentially a useless cover page with a navigation menu that lists the
> modules, but without links

I've seen that happen too.  Most of my projects have a custom site.xml
and aren't using ${modules} (?) though, so I've never tried to chase
it down.  Can you reproduce it with a simple parent-and-two-children
multi-module project?

> "mvn site" fails with an internal error, stumbling over a dependency
> which seems to stem from the java code being javadoc'ed itself.

Are you using <dependencyManagement> ?  This sounds familiar, but I
thought it was fixed.  First try 'mvn site -U' to make sure you've got
the latest plugin versions, or (better) add a <version> element to set
the version you want to use.

> If I set it to false, I don't see any link or anything at all.

Javadoc will be under 'Project Reports' at the bottom of the menu.  Do
you have ${reporting} (or possibly ${reports}) in site.xml?