Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by David Primmer <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/14 19:53:59 UTC

meeting to discuss integrating FeedServer?

I don't know if everyone has had time to digest the code we posted but I'd
like to setup a phone conference where we can go over some of the issues
around integrating FeedServer code into Abdera. I'd especially like to
discuss the design differences between Dan's implementation and ours (so
Dan, you'd be the guest of honor). I don't know if merge will be possible
but we should discuss it. Let me know if you're interested.
thanks.

davep

Re: meeting to discuss integrating FeedServer?

Posted by David Primmer <da...@gmail.com>.
On the list is fine. I thought we may be able to move quicker and summarize
things to the list. But if you all want it on the list, that's fine with me.
davep

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Vasu Nori <va...@gmail.com>.

> > I agree with James point on transactional semantics in
> CollectionProvider.
> > should be moved to an adapter. The methods - begin(), end() - in
> > CollectionProvider seem to indicate maintenance of some sortof state
> between
> > server and the caller.
> >
> These don't imply any kind of server state.  They are simply used for
> scenarios where you want to start/stop the local database transaction.
>
> - Dan

local database = database on the server?

to me, it is confusing see non-REST methods being declared in core abdera
interfaces which may be implemented by the user while building an
Abdera-based server.
To simplify the server implementation, I would like to have just the
necessary and sufficient interfaces/classes from Abdera to implement the
server, which will handle Atom protocol completely.
anything extra, could be an extension that the user may or maynot wish to
implement - but not part of the core classes..

Re: meeting to discuss integrating FeedServer?

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
MuleSource

Re: meeting to discuss integrating FeedServer?

Posted by Vasu Nori <va...@gmail.com>.
great comments, James.

IMHO, I think we have 2 potentially different concepts in CollectionProvider
& Adapter and they can coexist. let me explain.

CollectionProvider defines (and greatly simplifies) a server implementation
based on Abdera. The protocol handling part of it.

Adapter deals with the data - the methods to be implemented by the
datasources to do CRUD operations on data.

One (Collectionprovider) implements protocol handling mechanism and the
other (Adapter) handles data related issues. Datatsources shouldn't care
about inner workings of atom protocol and CollectionProvider mechanism
provides a great implementation mechanism without knowing about the details
of CRUD on data.

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
MuleSource

Re: meeting to discuss integrating FeedServer?

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.