Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Pete Wyckoff <pw...@facebook.com> on 2008/04/30 04:50:36 UTC

Getting jobTracker startTime from the JobClient

Hi,

I want to get the time the JobTracker was started (Not the time an
individual job was started).

Is there a way from the JobClient? I see you can get a ClusterStatus Object,
but it doesn't include the JobTracker.getStartTime() variable.

Is there another way to do this or should  I open a JIRA and submit a
patch??

Thanks, pete

Re: Getting jobTracker startTime from the JobClient

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Pete Wyckoff wrote:
> I'm looking for the actual #of seconds since (or absolute time) the job
> tracker was ready to start accepting jobs.
>
> I'm writing a utility to (attempt :)) more robustly run hadoop jobs and one
> thing I want to detect is if the JobTracker has gone down while a job that
> failed was running.
>
> Since the script will also sleep and poll the job tracker till it comes back
> up (or connectivity is restored), when I finally contact the job tracker, I
> want to know how long its been running.
>
> So, knowing whether the JT is initializing or not is useful, but also the
> actual time it was ready.
>
> Thanks, pete

Seems to me something that should be remotely available and visible via
JMX...always good to use. Absolute time info, if sent as a time_t long
should be in UTC to avoid confusion when talking to servers in different
time zones...

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Getting jobTracker startTime from the JobClient

Posted by Pete Wyckoff <pw...@facebook.com>.

Posted by Vinod KV <vi...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Amar Kamat <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>.