Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Kiran N <ki...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/12 21:11:18 UTC

Re: Help with external DHCP issue

hello Josh,
I am facing some what similar issue.I have added a new computer host(virtual
machine).
I checked the dhcp.conf files, the addressing, etc/hosts file.
But on making a reservation, my virtual machine does startup, but its not
getting any IP addresses assigned. Its unable to detect any networks
created,
I have renamed the  .vmdk and -flat.vmdk files according to the naming
convention
(Note: we are using ESX provisioning and it is a Windows 2003 image).
Is there anythin specific you wanted me to check??

Thanks,
Kiran

Posted by Kiran N <ki...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all..
The good news is that finally the network is setup and it shows both the
private and public IP addresses in correct manner.The problem was with the
mac addresses.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Is dhcpd running correctly on the private network, the vm guest is listed
> correct mac address, etc?
>
> If so, check the message log. Are there any dhcp entries, dhcpinform,
> dhcprequest, dhcpack, denial, etc related to the guest?
>
> -A
>

> On 4/13/10 11:42 AM, Kiran N wrote:
>
>> Thanks Vinay, Aaron for the help!
>> I tried changing it to 5 and now.. it does recognize the 2 networks( as
>> seen in VI client) in the correct manner. It shows the public IP address,
>> but no private IP address.
>> Also, in the vcld.log, it still shows the message:
>> 2010-04-13 10:23:35|15069|35:35|reload|
>> vmware.pm:load(856)|sshd is NOT active on vcl01 yet
>> When seen in console in VI client, there is limited or no network
>> connectivity status..
>>
>> [PS:attached is the new vcx file]
>>
>> thanks
>> Kiran

Kiran

Re: Help with external DHCP issue

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Kiran N <ki...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>wrote:

> Yes, change the vmtypeid to 5 and try to load the image again through vcl.
>
> -A
>

> On 4/13/10 11:02 AM, Kiran N wrote:
>
>> It is set to 3 , since as discussed with my co worker Brian Copcea, it
>> says
>> it is ESX provisioning but practically the most of the provisioning scheme
>> is GSX with few added ESX features..Do u suggest me to change it to 5..?
>> I did notice that VCL is generating it differently.. but could not get the
>> probable fix for it since the database entries are right..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kiran
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Aaron Peeler<aaron_peeler@ncsu.edu
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> In your assigned vmprofile. What is your vmtypeid set to?  It should be
>>> set
>>> to id 5 which is 'vmwareESX3'
>>>
>>> The vcl generated vmx file is creating EthernetX.vnet instead of
>>> EthernetX.networkName.
>>>
>>> Aaron

Kiranmye Nellimarla
Graduate,Computer Science