Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/13 09:46:26 UTC

Incubator - Sandbox

Hi everyone,

a question that has posed itself after discussions on the MyFaces mailing list:

Is there a way to have a permanent MyFaces "sandbox" incubator project
through wich code may pass in from external sources?

The thing is that we as MyFaces committers wouldn't want to take over
all the code at once, but decide incrementally which parts of the code
we would want to take over; of course only upon positive decision of
the incubator peple.

The problem is that many components for JSF are developed outside of
Apache, some by small independent developers, some at sourceforge,
some in large corporations, and we really don't want to setup a
separate incubator subproject for each and every such component that
ends up donated to MyFaces - the administrative overhead would just be
to high...

Any suggestions how we could solve that problem?

regards,

Martin

Re: Incubator - Sandbox

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Very good,

thank you for that information - we have an interesting discussion
about that going on the Myfaces mailing list right in the moment.

thanks!

Martin

RE: Incubator - Sandbox

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Incubator - Sandbox

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 5/13/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On May 13, 2005, at 3:46 AM, Martin Marinschek wrote:
> > The problem is that many components for JSF are developed outside of
> > Apache, some by small independent developers, some at sourceforge,
> > some in large corporations, and we really don't want to setup a
> > separate incubator subproject for each and every such component that
> > ends up donated to MyFaces - the administrative overhead would just be
> > to high...
> >

> > Any suggestions how we could solve that problem?
>
> Any code that comes in has to come in under apache license w/ proper
> contribution agreement.
>
> But after that, you can organize it however you want.  Make a sandbox
> directory in your svn for example?

I agree with Geir, but add that you'd only need an incubator
subproject if the code could not be supported by the current MyFaces
community.  However, if the MyFaces PMC feels that the community
already exists to maintain the new code contribution, then there's no
need for an incubator subproject.

Cliff

Re: Incubator - Sandbox

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On May 13, 2005, at 3:46 AM, Martin Marinschek wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> a question that has posed itself after discussions on the MyFaces
> mailing list:
>
> Is there a way to have a permanent MyFaces "sandbox" incubator project
> through wich code may pass in from external sources?
>
> The thing is that we as MyFaces committers wouldn't want to take over
> all the code at once, but decide incrementally which parts of the code
> we would want to take over; of course only upon positive decision of
> the incubator peple.
>
> The problem is that many components for JSF are developed outside of
> Apache, some by small independent developers, some at sourceforge,
> some in large corporations, and we really don't want to setup a
> separate incubator subproject for each and every such component that
> ends up donated to MyFaces - the administrative overhead would just be
> to high...
>

> Any suggestions how we could solve that problem?

Any code that comes in has to come in under apache license w/ proper
contribution agreement.

But after that, you can organize it however you want.  Make a sandbox
directory in your svn for example?

geir

geir@optonline.net