Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2012/11/01 18:57:25 UTC

Re: User Defined Function and defaults

On 10/31/12 7:49 AM, Matthew Abbott wrote:
> I'm writing a User Defined Function in java for use in my derby db,
> and I am looking for syntax on how to make some of the arguments
> optional.  In my java I have overloaded methods depending on what you
> pass to it, but have not found  an example on creating optional
> arguments in a CREATE FUNCTION sql call that points to my java class.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  I don't know where to
> search if this question has already been asked on this mailing list,
> so my apologies if this has been asked before.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -Matthew

Hi Matthew,

You might be interested in the proposal at the end of the discussion on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3069. What's being proposed
there is a way to bind a function/procedure to a static Java method with
trailing varargs. Note that what is being proposed is a Derby extension
which would not be portable to other databases. However, if the
extension turns out to be useful for a lot of people, that will give us
an argument for taking this proposal to the SQL committee for inclusion
in a future rev of the SQL Standard. I hope to attach a detailed
functional spec to DERBY-3069 soon. Would the proposal on DERBY-3069
satisfy your requirement? Would trailing varargs satisfy your need for
optional arguments?

Thanks,
-Rick